'Then we knew Mandela was gone'

2013-12-08 14:52
Leaders from around the globe are due to converge in South Africa to pay their last respects to former president Nelson Mandela. (Stephane de Sakutin, AFP)

Leaders from around the globe are due to converge in South Africa to pay their last respects to former president Nelson Mandela. (Stephane de Sakutin, AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories


Global leaders pay tribute to Mandela

2013-12-08 14:28

The Elders, a group of independent leaders brought together by Nelson Mandela, pay tribute to Madiba. Watch.WATCH

Johannesburg - The last breath Nelson Mandela drew was his own, free of any life support, in the presence of his closest family members, South African media reported on Sunday.

"By the time he died on Thursday evening, he was not on a life-support machine and had been breathing on his own," the Sunday Times weekly reported.

The anti-apartheid champion who became South Africa's first black president had been repeatedly hospitalised with lung troubles in recent years and had often had to rely on artificial ventilation.

The Sunday Times said grandson Mandla had been urgently summoned from the village of Mvezo in the Eastern Cape province to his grandfather's bedside.

Also present were senior members of the ruling African National Congress that Mandela once led, and religious leaders who comforted family and friends.

According to the City Press weekly, close family had been allowed into his room in twos and threes for a final private moment.

"Those in the house speak of an overwhelming sadness that engulfed it," said an online version of the newspaper.

It added the ex-president had not spoken a word for months.

The Sunday Times quoted Bantu Holomisa, one of the last people to have seen Mandela, as saying he had received a call to say the president's condition had worsened.

"I went straight to see him in his room. I was sad to see that his situation, from the last time I saw him, had deteriorated very badly," the politician said.

Holomisa spent over an hour with Mandela and left the house about 90 minutes before the statesman was declared dead.

"The family was very strong, but the mood was sombre. The toughest moment came when the military arrived to collect Madiba's body around midnight," the newspaper quoted someone who was there as saying.

"When they came down from his room upstairs with his lifeless body, followed by Mandla, it started to sink in that Madiba was gone."

Read more on:    nelson mandela  |  bantu holomisa

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.