UJ research team rejects SAPS accusations

2015-05-30 23:37


Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Durban - A research team from University of Johannesburg on Sunday rejected claims by police that it had manipulated information in a bid to stop a budget increase in funding for riot control.

A statement released by the UJ Social Change Research Unit on Sunday said that it stuck by its original findings in a report released on Thursday which in which it said it sought to draw attention to the police’s “misleading use of its own statistics” to obtain an increase in funding for Public Order Policing.

The research by by the UJ Social Change Research Unit's Professor Peter Alexander, Dr Carin Runciman, and Boitumelo Maruping was lambasted in a statement released by police on Friday.

According to the police’s statement the research teams findings were “a deliberate and distorted interpretation of our submission to the Portfolio Committee on Police”.

“It is clear that this deliberate misinterpretation of facts supports the view held by some of the researchers that the police should not be involved in the management of protests. The information was clearly manipulated in order to suit this view,” the police statement read.

The police are seeking to increase their budget for public order policing from R2.7bn to R3.3bn and according to the police statement a submission was made to parliament’s police portfolio committee on the issue.

“The motivation provided for the additional funding was not just for additional capacity to do crowd control management during violent protests, but for crowd management in general,” read the police statement.

The initial UJ report was based on a study and analysis of 150 000 crowd incidents that were supplied by Saps to the research unit.

The crowd incidents are broken down into “peaceful” and “unrest”. Peaceful ones made up around 90 percent of all incidents recorded, and unrest cases the remaining 10%.

“We are disturbed by the response of Saps to our analysis of data newly released by Saps Incident Registration  Information System on crowd management incidents. We refute their distortion of analysis found in our report.”

According to UJ, the R3.3bn spent on public order policing would be enough to build 200,000 houses priced at R150 000.

Read more on:    saps

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

Competition regulation for a growing and inclusive economy

ADVERTORIAL: The Competition Commission of South Africa is conducting advocacy work in the South African automotive aftermarket industry and has gazetted a Draft Code of Conduct for public comment.


WATCH: Man films himself going down water slide upside down as things go very wrong…

What is at first an exciting tummy-turning adventure stunt, quickly turns into a scarily bad idea caught on camera. Take a look:


You won't want to miss...

WATCH: Conor McGregor: Notorious the trailer
Best date night restaurants in South Africa
WATCH: Ryan Reynolds offers fans a free tattoo in new Deadpool 2 teaser
Should you date your co-worker?
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.