News24

Work on Marikana scene took 24 hours

2012-10-31 12:02

Rustenburg - It took almost 24-hours for a crime scene expert to complete his work at the small hill in Wonderkop where 13 men were killed, the Farlam Commission heard on Wednesday.

Captain Apollo Mohlaki told the commission, chaired by retired judge Ian Farlam, that he arrived at the small hill, or scene 2, just after 16:00 on August 16. He finished processing the scene just after 15:00 on Friday, August 17.

The 13 men who died there were part of a group of 34 striking mineworkers shot dead by the police on August 16.

"We arrived at scene 1 [near the kraal] looking for General Naidoo... and then we were told he was at scene 2," said Mohlaki.

This was the first time he heard that there had been a shooting at the small hill.

Farlam asked him if he could hear shooting and see teargas at scene 2 when he arrived.

"Not at all, chair. It [the shooting] had already happened," Mohlaki replied.

Evidence leader Mbuyiseli Madlanga asked Mohlaki how he had been able to work on the scene through the night.

Mohlaki said it was arranged with platinum mining company Lonmin to provide lights and two generators.

"The generator was giving light, but I also had to use alternative light," he said, referring to a torch.

Mohlaki showed the commission, with the help of a Google map, where traditional weapons were found near the small hill.