World Bank concludes probe into Hitachi's Medupi contract

2015-10-13 21:16
Medupi construction site. (Photo: Lisa Hnatowicz/Foto24)

Medupi construction site. (Photo: Lisa Hnatowicz/Foto24)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Johannesburg - No World Bank funds were put at risk by the Hitachi contract for Eskom's Medupi project, the financial institution said on Tuesday after concluding its investigation into the matter.

This comes after DA leader Mmusi Maimane wrote to the World Bank Integrity Vice President Leonard McCarthy, requesting a full investigation into the involvement of the ANC's investment arm, Chancellor House.

World Bank Country Director for South Africa Guang Zhe Chen told News24 that the World Bank's Integrity Unit had assessed the matter and concluded that none of their funds had been put at risk.    

"Given that no World Bank funds were involved in the Hitachi contract, an investigation by the World Bank into the contract is not warranted," said Zhe Chen. 

Read more on:    da  |  hitachi  |  anc  |  world bank  |  eskom  |  mmusi maimane
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.