Admitting guilt is not an option for Fees Must fall activist Mcebo Dlamini

2018-09-03 16:06
Mcebo Dlamini (Felix Dlangamandla, Netwerk24)

Mcebo Dlamini (Felix Dlangamandla, Netwerk24)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Fees Must Fall activist Mcebo Dlamini says the options Justice Minister Micheal Masutha have given to students charged in connection with the fees protests, are not in his best interests.

Last month, Masutha noted that, due to the separation of powers, he did not have the authority to pardon students.

However, he said he could assist in two ways: through applications for presidential pardons, or mediation and arbitration.

But Dlamini, who is accused of public violence, the assault of a police officer and the violation of a court order, was not happy. He briefly appeared in the Johannesburg Magistrate's Court on Monday.

"We are not going to plead guilty. There is no way we will take ourselves into the mouth of the hyena. The State must find us guilty. There is no way we can sacrifice our careers so cheaply," Dlamini told News 24 outside court.

Dlamini said he had nothing to do with the violence.

"We admit being part of and leading the movement, but we do not admit to any damage to property as an individual," he said.

On August 27, after a meeting with Fees Must Fall activists at the Union Buildings in Pretoria, a statement was released which stated: "The minister will, where appropriate, guide the students in making applications to the NPA (National Prosecuting Authority) for the review of prosecutorial decisions in cases of students who are already charged and whose matters are currently on trial."

READ: Protesters demand amnesty for FeesMustFall accused

However, for a student to be considered for presidential pardon or amnesty, there has to be a conviction or an acknowledgement of wrongdoing. This is the concern for Dlamini, who is a law student at Wits University.

An admission of guilt is likely to have an impact on his future.

"What we are going to do is write to the NPA to ask them to relook the charges and ask that the matter be taken out of court and discussed between the minister, the university and students," he said.

His case has been postponed to September 17 when a trial date is expected to be set, based on Dlamini's examination timetable and the NPA's response to his representations.

Read more on:    mcebo dlamini  |  university protests

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.