ANC conference: Vote for new secretary general rocks ANC

2017-12-20 12:51
Delegates at the 54th ANC Conference.

Delegates at the 54th ANC Conference. (File)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

The ANC’s landmark national conference was on Tuesday night in danger of collapsing just a day after electing Cyril Ramaphosa as party president.

This followed a day of disputes over voting processes.

Ramaphosa supporters were yesterday evening threatening to take the ANC to court after several votes for the post of secretary general were allegedly not counted. They believe the votes were cast in support of their candidate, KwaZulu-Natal’s Senzo Mchunu, who narrowly lost the position to Ace Magashule, the Free State premier.

Magashule beat Mchunu by only 2 360 to 2 336 votes.

The disgruntled Ramaphosa supporters claim to be in possession of proof that their votes were not included in the final count and were late yesterday consulting lawyers

This followed a failure by ANC officials overseeing the conference to respond to their dispute.

“We wrote a letter to the steering committee urging it to rectify the matter as our votes had not been counting despite the fact that we are legitimate delegates,” said a delegate from the Limpopo province’s Vhembe region, who asked not to be named.

“If they think that we will just walk away then they are mistaken. We will definitely file a court application to compel those overseeing the conference to count our votes.”

Mchunu was backed by Ramaphosa while Magashule was in the rival Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma camp.

“Ace Magashule did not win as comrade Senzo had received more votes.

“We are appealing to the ANC leadership to do the right thing and count all the votes,” the Limpopo delegate said.

The Ramaphosa backers had lodged a dispute with the ANC electoral commission after the total votes garnered by both Magashule and Mchunu fell below the number of delegates who had been registered to vote at conference: 4 776 had been registered but only 4 696 voted.

Mchunu’s camp is convinced the former KwaZulu-Natal premier would have won the contest had the 68 votes — reportedly mainly from KwaZulu-Natal and Limpopo — been counted.

ANC Limpopo provincial chairperson Stan Mathabatha said he was unaware of pending court application against the conference but confirmed that about 50 delegates from the province had lodged a dispute after their votes had not been counted.

“These are legitimate delegates who were elected by their branches in meetings which complied with all ANC guidelines.

“I can confirm that the matter had been brought to the attention of the steering committee, which I’m made to understand is yet to respond,” he said.

The matter came to light after ANC chief whip Jackson Mthembu, had on Monday evening sent out a WhatsApp message to Ramaphosa supporters.

“Our CR17 (a reference to the Ramaphosa camp) national delegates assembly will be held at our regular meeting venue next to the Statues.

“We will also report on the 68 votes that were not included in the report of the Electoral Commission at plenary which, when included, will change the numbers of comrade Senzo (Senzo) drastically and positively,” he said.

However, the complaint was met with a blunt response from Dlamini-Zuma supporters.

“You cannot say that you want a recount for just one position ... how do you now know who voted how [in] a secret ballot. So this means it has to be done for the entire top six. If they insist on a recount, then we will call for a rerun,” said North West premier Supra Mahomapelo.

ANC Youth League KwaZulu-Natal chairperson Kwazi Mshengu said he had been told that all the delegates whose votes were not counted did not appear on the voters’ roll.

“They are non-voting delegates who went on to vote despite the conference having made it clear that under no circumstances will no voting delegates be allowed to vote,” said Mshengu, a Dlamini-Zuma supporter.

Disputes over voting processes in the ANC last week resulted in the provincial executive committees of two provinces, Free State and KwaZulu-Natal being dissolved.

The party steering committee was on Tuesday locked in a meeting over the disputed votes for the entire day. It resulted in the voting for national executive committee (MEC) members, scheduled to begin on Tuesday morning, being delayed.

There was no indication by late last night whether the conference would pursue the matter further.

Read more on:    pietermaritzburg  |  anc conference

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.