ANC KZN deputy chair only played a 'peripheral role' in R28m case - new lawyer

2018-08-22 20:41
Mike Mabuyakhulu.

Mike Mabuyakhulu. (City Press)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

ANC KwaZulu-Natal (KZN) deputy chair Mike Mabuyakhulu "only allegedly played a peripheral role" in a "massive" case involving R28m, his new lawyer said on Wednesday.

Mabuyakhulu and seven businessmen and women from the province appeared in the Durban Commercial Crimes Court on 77 charges, including money laundering and corruption.

The charges emanate from R28m paid for a North Sea Jazz Festival that was supposed to take place in Durban in 2012.

READ: Top ANC leader from KZN and co-accused back in court over North Sea Jazz Festival

Mabuyakhulu's new lawyer advocate Jimmy Howse told the court that his client only faced six charges out of the 77 charges.

'Prejudice'

"These charges involve only R300 000. His difficulty is that he has been drawn into this entire massive matter due to that. That is prejudice against him," said Howse.

Howse said he also wished that Mabuyakhulu's case could be separated from the rest of the accused because it looked like the case "would drag forever".

"He has a very difficult way forward having now been party to this entire massive trial whereas he only allegedly played a very peripheral role," he said.

READ: Mike Mabuyakhulu should be given a chance to present his case – KZN ANC

The court heard that the top ANC official had requested further particulars in the matter on August 8, following his last court appearance in the matter on April 6.

Howse said he wanted the state to provide a "swift response" to the request for further particulars.

The state said that it could only provide the response to the request on October 16 because three other accused had also requested for further particulars on August 21.

Howse argued that the proposal to reply on October 16 would be "prejudice" against Mabuyakhulu.

"The prosecuting team consists of four senior prosecutors. We want the responses in the next two weeks because he [Mabuyakhulu] wants to take further steps relating to the replies," said Howse.

He asked the court to make an order for the state to furnish them with the replies in mid-September.

'No preferential treatment'

The state argued that all accused be treated equally before the court and that there would be "no preferential treatment".

Magistrate Christophiner Mazibuko ruled that the state must reply by October 16.

Mabuyakhulu, who is out on R50 000 bail, appeared alongside Ceaser Walter Mkhize, Mabheleni Ntuli, Mzwandile Basil Ninela, Nonhlanhla Brenda Ninela, Nothando Lorraine Zungu, Ntokozo Ndlovu and Njabulo Mbongwe Mkhize.

Their companies, Desmond Khalid Golding, DMD Capital PTY LTD, Ishashalazi Production CC, Ishinga Holdings, Maqhoboza Traders CC, Shaka Holdings, Soft Skills Communications 100 CC and Supersize Investment 20CC are some of the 16 accused in the matter.

The eight accused and their companies face about 77 charges, including theft and fraud.

Mabuyakhulu's co-accused allegedly played a role in a plot to steal nearly R28m from his former department between 2012 and 2013, after the cancellation of the North Sea Jazz Festival in 2012.

According to the indictment, Zungu is one of the main role players alongside Mabuyakhulu - the former KZN MEC for economic development and tourism.

'Paid for nothing'

The companies of Mabuyakhulu's co-accused were allegedly paid, despite the festival being cancelled.

The court also heard that Zungu would be out of the country on October 16.

"They still have their passports?" the surprised Mazibuko asked.

Zungu's lawyer said her client had not been asked to hand in her passport.

Mazibuko said if Zungu were not in court on the date, a warrant of arrest would be issued against her until she availed herself.

The case was previously adjourned for a High Court date to be set but that could not happen because Mabuyakhulu and three other accused asked for further documents.

Mazibuko postponed the matter to October 16. All the accused are out on bail.

KEEP UPDATED on the latest news by subscribing to our FREE newsletter.

- FOLLOW News24 on Twitter

Read more on:    mike mabuyakhulu  |  durban  |  crime  |  corruption

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.