ANC may have to fight elections without Fransman - analyst

2016-01-12 13:09
Marius Fransman. (Netwerk24)

Marius Fransman. (Netwerk24)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Cape Town – Controversial African National Congress Western Cape leader Marius Fransman is not indispensable and the party could run an election campaign without him.

This is according to Western Cape political analyst Professor Keith Gottschalk, who on Tuesday said that although an election year meant all hands were needed on deck, "the ANC in the province would just have to work harder".

The provincial leader is facing charges of alleged sexual harassment after a 20-year-old woman accused him of "inappropriate touching". Party officials were due to meet with Fransman on Tuesday afternoon to hear his side of the story.

The Western Cape is the only province that is not run by the ANC, and the party has pledged to work towards changing that.

But this year, the historically divided provincial ANC might have to kick off their local election season without their leaders, with both Fransman and secretary Faiez Jacobs facing serious criminal charges.

Jacobs was placed on precautionary suspension over an incident assault in December at the party’s provincial offices.

‘More than meets the eye’

Dismissing the sexual harassment charges against him last week, Fransman said there was more to the "spurious allegations than meets the eye".

Gottschalk said, like in any big organisation, no one was irreplaceable and as the case could take months, the party might have to go through the 2016 local government elections without Fransman.

"If he is suspended, the rest of the PEC will just have to pull their weight during the election campaign."

Gottschalk said by suspending Jacobs, the party had left themselves with no other recourse but to do the same to Fransman, who has been accused of a more serious crime.

“While it has not yet proven, they have set a standard that ANC should follow."

ANC national spokesperson Zizi Kodwa last week told News24 that they reaffirmed ANC gender policy with regards to respect for women's rights and said the law would take its course.

Read more on:    anc  |  marius fransman  |  cape town  |  local elections 2016  |  politics

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
ADVERTORIAL
Competition regulation for a growing and inclusive economy

ADVERTORIAL: The Competition Commission of South Africa is conducting advocacy work in the South African automotive aftermarket industry and has gazetted a Draft Code of Conduct for public comment.

/News
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.