ANCYL calls for probe into Eastern Cape broadband contract

2018-03-06 19:02
(Supplied)

(Supplied)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Cape Town - A full investigation into the payment of an alleged R228m to a company for the provision of broadband services to the Eastern Cape is being demanded by the ANC Youth League’s Alfred Nzo Region.

"It is worse that such a payment was done as a prepayment, with the company given free money without doing any government work. This is unheard [of]," it said in a statement on Tuesday.

"The award of this contract to a Western Cape-based company is an insult to the people of this province, and a serious injustice to the concept of localisation and radical economic development that the ANC steers us towards. The Eastern Cape is constituted of more than 70% [young] people … playing some role in the ICT sector, and have been looking forward to opportunities of this nature."

City Press last week reported that the provincial government and the State Information Technology Agency (SITA) were in battle over the broadband project after the provincial director-general, Marion Mbina-Mthembu, accused SITA of giving the province bad advice, which would have resulted in it paying three times more than what a similar venture would have cost the Western Cape government.

SITA chief executive Setumo Mohapi threatened legal action and called for an investigation, it reported.

The project was to link the province's government departments with WiFi, through the provision of wide-area networks.

Mohapi told City Press that the province had a "pre-determined" service provider and an open bidding process had not been followed.

The request, Mohapi told the publication, was for an "exclusive appointment" of a specific service provider.

Mbina-Mthembu denied that R228m had been paid towards the project, saying R15.9m of the R57m had been paid.

The youth league on Tuesday called on Premier Phumulo Masualle to commission a forensic investigation into how the funds had been used.

"What disturbs us the most is the fact that the contract was never approved by National Treasury, and as such the [director general in the Eastern Cape] must [accept] full responsibility for this injustice.

"The premier and the DG must tell the public why tender processes were never followed on the contract."

The premier's spokesperson, Sonwabo Mbananga, declined to comment.

Read more on:    ancyl  |  east london  |  corruption

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.