Beaten Moses Mabhida stadium guard 'seriously injured, but stable'

2018-04-22 15:04
Police react to crowd violence during the Nedbank Cup Semi Final match between Kaizer Chiefs and Free State Stars at Moses Mabhida Stadium. (Anesh Debiky, Gallo Images)

Police react to crowd violence during the Nedbank Cup Semi Final match between Kaizer Chiefs and Free State Stars at Moses Mabhida Stadium. (Anesh Debiky, Gallo Images)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

A security guard who was beaten up during a violent breakout at the Moses Mabhida Stadium in Durban is in stable condition, paramedics said on Sunday.

"[The guard] is in hospital, and is seriously injured but stable," Crisis Medical spokesperson Kyle Van Reenen told News24.

Stadium management on Sunday said the guard was in fact a man, contrary to reports that the guard was a woman, The Mercury reported. No woman had been injured in the incident.

There were social media reports on Sunday that the guard had died as a result of his injuries sustained at the venue during the Nedbank Cup semi-final match.

READ: Two arrested, 'more imminent' after Moses Mabhida stadium violence

Van Reenen, however, dismissed those reports as incorrect.

On Saturday night, chaos erupted at the venue after angry fans invaded the pitch following Kaizer Chiefs' 2-0 loss to Free State Stars, dumping Chiefs out of the cup.

Fans could be seen storming the field, hurling chairs and beating security officials. Police had to use teargas and stun grenades to disperse unruly fans.

The security guard was caught on camera being badly beaten during the violence on the field.

The scenes were widely criticised by all in the sporting community.

Sports Minister Tokozile Xasa, and the Premier Soccer League were among those to slam the behaviour of the Kaizer Chiefs fans, and called on stadium management to address the incident.

READ: Sports Minister Xasa 'appalled' by Moses Mabhida stadium chaos

Police spokesperson Captain Nqobile Gwala confirmed on Sunday that two people had been arrested and were due to appear in court on Monday on charges of public violence and malicious damage to property.

She said more arrests were imminent.

Kaizer Chiefs coach Steve Kompela meanwhile resigned as a result of the incident.

WATCH more footage of fans attacking the security guard below:

*CORRECTION: A previous version of the story said that Stadium Management South Africa registered its 'grave concern' over the gruesome assault of the security guard. This is incorrect. Stadium Management South Africa was not involved with security on the evening.

We apologise for any harm this mistake may have caused.

KEEP UPDATED on the latest news by subscribing to our FREE newsletter.

- FOLLOW News24 on Twitter

Read more on:    durban  |  crime  |  protests

Inside News24


Matric Results are coming soon!

Notify me when results become available

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.