Boy, 3, killed in Cape Town house fire

2019-10-30 14:51
The burnt house (Photo: Sitembile Mfecane)

The burnt house (Photo: Sitembile Mfecane)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

A three-year-old boy died in the early hours of Wednesday morning after his house caught alight in Nomzamo near Strand, the Cape Town fire and rescue services say.

Spokesperson Jermaine Carelse said the first firefighters arrived at the house in Sithunzi Street around 04:40 and found the boy unresponsive.

They commenced CPR, but to no avail, and the boy was declared dead.

They managed to extinguish the fire at 05:27.

Nomzamo councillor Sitembile Mfecane, who visited the family afterwards, told News24 that the fire may have been started by a candle.

"During the night, the electricity went off because they didn't have enough. One of the boys of the house asked the grandmother to buy electricity, but she said she would in the morning and said he must sleep," he explained.

The 12-year-old boy apparently then lit a candle, he said.

"When the fire started, the family tried to help and break the windows, but they were too late. The father is devastated."

He said the grandmother had burnt her hands while touching the windows and the older boy had smoke inhalation.

"They cannot use that house because of the damage, so I don't know what they will do."

Carelse said a chaplain had been asked to assist the family and the scene had been handed over to Lwandle police.

port elizabeth,eastern cape,drownings,groundup

Photo: Credit: Sitembile Mfecane

Read more on:    cape town  |  fires

Inside News24

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.