Cape Town - Empangeni has a new hero after a KwaZulu-Natal youngster saved the life of a paramedic twice in one day, Netwerk24 reported.Korné Kruger, 9, said he'd shared litchis his grandfather had given him with Philani Shamase, who works for the Mounties Ambulance and Emergency Services. Shamase suddenly chocked on the pip.Korné often accompanies his dad Joe, also a paramedic, when there is a call-out and he said he already knows what to do when someone is in trouble. "He suddenly started grabbing his throat. I knew he couldn't breathe, because he was turning red in the face," Korné told Netwerk24. "The pip came out after I'd elbowed him hard on the back. I gave him two more lychees and when he ate the second one, he chocked again. This time I hit him on the back with my fist." Like father like sonShamase told the Zululand Observer that he was on the phone and not paying attention to what he was doing."I ate one while I was in conversation on the phone and I don't really know what happened, but I ended up swallowing the seed and started choking."That's when Korné stepped in and helped," said Shamase.Korné's parents Joe, 38, and and Corli, 33, are very proud of their son. "When he told us about it, I thought he was joking, as boys do. I just said: 'Okay that's cool'. It was only when Philani, with blood-shot eyes, told me he'd almost died when he chocked that I realised that Korné had saved his life," Joe, who owns the ambulance service, said. "I also want to save lives like him [Joe] one day. I'm not sure what I want to become, I still have to think about that," said Korné.