Cape Town paedophile loses bid to appeal 8-year prison sentence

2017-11-14 17:55
SA prison. (Jackie Clausen, Gallo Images, Sunday Times)

SA prison. (Jackie Clausen, Gallo Images, Sunday Times)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Cape Town - A convicted paedophile’s application for leave to appeal his eight-year prison sentence has been dismissed in the Supreme Court.

Child sex offender Andries Retief's application was turned down as there were no special circumstances meriting a further appeal.

"This should thwart any further efforts by [Retief] to avoid spending time in jail," National Prosecuting Authority spokesperson Eric Ntabazalila said on Tuesday.

Retief was convicted on 2 130 charges two years ago and was handed a sentence of eight-year prison sentence, wholly suspended for five years.

The State in July successfully overturned the sentence against Retief in the Western Cape High Court, and he was sentenced to 10 years imprisonment, of which two years were conditionally suspended.

Retief was served with a notice to start his sentence, but his lawyers applied for an urgent bail appeal, pending his appeal against the overturned sentence in the Supreme Court, Ntabazalila said.

Advocate Evadne Kortje argued that the paedophile had already been convicted and sentenced, and that some of the parents of the victims had expressed concern.

She said the accused was "delaying the inevitable".

Retief's bail appeal was denied and his legal representatives applied for leave to appeal "that few minutes-old decision" of the High Court, Ntabazalila said.

The State again opposed this, and the judges again ruled in favour of the prosecution.

The father of two from Durbanville, who was arrested in January 2011 when a house sitter came across his self-made child porn collection, pleaded guilty to the charges in the Parow Regional Court in 2015.

Retief was found in possession of a vast number of child abuse images that he had collected over 10 years. Among his victims were children as young as six, eight and nine years old, who were abused while they slept.

He used a cellphone, video recorder and camera to create material of him abusing the children of his friends and neighbours.

Read more on:    cape town  |  sexual assault

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
ADVERTORIAL
Competition regulation for a growing and inclusive economy

ADVERTORIAL: The Competition Commission of South Africa is conducting advocacy work in the South African automotive aftermarket industry and has gazetted a Draft Code of Conduct for public comment.

/Africa
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.