Cape Town teen identifies attackers before bleeding to death

2016-11-10 20:50

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Cape Town - A teenage boy managed to tell his mother the names of his attackers shortly before succumbing to a stab wound, metres from his Cape Flats high school.

Justin Abrahams, 15, died at the Hanover Park Community Health Centre on Tuesday, after being stabbed and beaten with a pole in a field opposite Mountview Secondary.

On Thursday, two suspects aged 15 and 19, appeared in the Athlone Magistrate’s Court in connection with Abrahams’s murder.

Proceedings were held in camera as one of the accused is a minor.

As the men appeared in the dock, Justin’s mother Corinne was identifying her youngest son at the Salt River Mortuary.

"He looks peaceful, like he’s sleeping," she told News24.

Covered in his blood

When the final bell rang on Tuesday, Justin and a friend left their Athwood Road school and made their way across a field on their short walk home.

According to witnesses, three teenagers approached and chased after them.

Justin was stabbed, while his friend managed to escape unscathed.

"He managed to run a short distance before he collapsed," Justin’s sister Shirlane, 29, recalled.

"One of his school mates ran to the house and told us he was lying on the field covered in blood. When I got there, he was barely conscious."

The uniforms of Mountview pupils who tried to help him were covered in his blood.

Shirlane flagged down a vehicle transporting children and it rushed her and her brother to a nearby day hospital.

"He didn’t say much, just that I must put pressure on the wound. He didn’t look good," she said.

Corinne said after he had been stabilised, Justin called her and told her who had stabbed him.

"He squeezed my hand, but kept complaining how cold he was. We waited for hours for an ambulance to arrive. By 17:00, we were still waiting."

When the ambulance arrived, it was decided that he was too weak to be driven to Groote Schuur Hospital, the family said.

But the department of health emergency medical and forensic pathology services spokesperson Robert Daniels said emergency services was informed of the incident at 14:07 and paramedics - who are dispatched depending on the severity of the case - arrived at 14:51.

He said the department's records show that the ambulance arrived at 15:15, but the patient was found to be too unstable to transport and his blood pressure was too low.

Corinne insisted they were told that the ambulance had been waiting for a police escort, as emergency workers refuse to enter gang-ridden communities out of fear for their safety.

The mother of six lost her 22-year-old son two years ago. He was gunned down outside their Groenpoort Walk home. His murder has not yet been solved.

Read more on:    cape town  |  crime

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.