Case against pair linked to Pastor Lukau 'resurrection' provisionally withdrawn in court - report

2019-07-18 09:19
The 'resurrection' by pastor Alph Lukau. (Screengrab/Twitter)

The 'resurrection' by pastor Alph Lukau. (Screengrab/Twitter)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

A case against two people who allegedly participated in the hoax resurrection of a Zimbabwean national at Alleluia Ministries was provisionally withdrawn in the Johannesburg Magistrates' Court on Wednesday.

TimesLive reported that National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) spokesperson Phindi Mjonondwane confirmed that the case against Nkululeko Dlamini, 35, and Silungisani Sibanda (also known as Grace Ncube), 40, had been struck off the roll. The pair faced fraud charges.

In February, a video clip of a man identified as Elliot Moyo went viral, after he was "resurrected" from a coffin by church leader, pastor Alph Lukau.

The video, which was widely shared, showed Moyo rising from a coffin as Lukau prayed for him. Sibanda and Dlamini were later arrested.

READ: Prophet Mboro lays a charge against 'resurrection' pastor and church

Lukau, however, made an about-turn and distanced himself from the resurrection, saying the man was already alive when he arrived at the church.

Reports later surfaced that Moyo had died in Zimbabwe following the incident, according to News24.

Incredible Happenings church leader, Paseka "Mboro" Motsoeneng, issued a media statement in which he and the SA Funeral Practitioners' Association (Safpa) voiced their displeasure at "such an antic for the sake of quick fame and cameras", News24 reported.

Pastors 'scamming people' warned

Motsoeneng announced that he would confront Lukau for "bringing Christianity into disrepute", but he was not allowed to enter the church venue when he went there.

He later laid a fraud charge against Alleluia Ministries International's church leaders.

"We want to warn all pastors and preachers who are scamming people. It must stop," he said.

"All of you who are scamming our people, you must run. We are coming."

News24 reported earlier this month that police spokesperson Captain Kay Makhubele said the search for Moyo would continue and he remains wanted until police are informed that he is dead.

GET THE NEWS at your fingertips and download the News24 app for Android here now. Get it for your iPhone here.

KEEP UPDATED on the latest news by subscribing to our FREE newsletter.

- FOLLOW News24 on Twitter

Read more on:    johannesburg  |  crime  |  religion  |  courts
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.