Chicken suspected to have caused two children's deaths was safe, city says

2017-04-07 23:04
Mayco member JP Smith (Jenni Evans, News24)

Mayco member JP Smith (Jenni Evans, News24)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Cape Town - The chicken two children ate before they died earlier this week was safe for consumption, the City of Cape Town said on Friday.

A bacteriological assessment of the remaining chicken and gravy the children ate was conducted, safety and security mayoral committee member JP Smith said in a statement.

"The test results show that there were not sufficiently high enough levels of bacterial organisms to cause illness or death. The City's Environmental Health Department can therefore confirm that the chicken was safe for consumption when bought," he said.

The children, from the Samora Machel informal settlement, died on Monday.

It was initially reported that three children died.

"The samples tested include the remaining chicken which was still frozen and the gravy which remained in the pot after the meal was consumed. None of the cooked chicken was available for testing as this was all consumed at the time of the meal," Smith said.

Environmental health officials visited the farm where the live chicken was bought, the vendor who sold the family this chicken, and the home of the victims in Samora Machel, Smith said.

They were satisfied that there was no cause for concern about how the chicken was reared and stored.

Police are investigating.

Read more on:    cape town  |  accidents

Inside News24

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.