Numerous attempts by Msunduzi to curb illegal dumping have failed to yield sustainable results as perpetrators continue to dump even after the City has cleaned and erected signs warning them against it.On Wednesday Ward 35 councillor Sandile Dlamini called for the strengthening of the City’s waste management systems. He said it was now a common sight to see piles of refuse left uncollected for days on the streets in residential areas. He was responding to a report by the Deputy Mayor Manilal Inderjit which indicated that the latter had met with the acting waste manager to address waste removal challenges throughout the city. The Witness previously reported on the residents and business owners’ frustrations about the delays in the collection of refuse and emptying of the bins, including the CBD.Dlamini said Msunduzi spent R2 million clearing up the dumping sites around the city but they had since re-emerged as people used these vacant spaces to dispose of refuse that had not been routinely collected.He said the municipal waste staff also seemed to be working a lot of overtime these days trying to collect the refuse that was not picked up during the day. He also put forward a proposal for the formation of a landfill site monitoring committee which would include interested and affected parties who wanted to see the New England Road dump functioning properly. “The landfill site is a disgrace. This mainly affects us as people from Sobantu who have to look at that filth and inhale the fumes from there on a daily basis,” said Dlamini.Councillor Vic Winterbach from Ward 36 said he shared Dlamini’s sentiments on problems with waste collectiorn and the landfill site. Inderjit said the potential legal and environmental issues stemming from the landfill site should be discussed by the relevant portfolio committees for a way forward.