City of Cape Town decides not to suspend 3 top officials

2017-12-05 14:07

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Cape Town – The City of Cape Town council has decided not to suspend three officials in a matter relating to maladministration allegations, which sparked a series of claims and counterclaims between some of its most senior employees.

News24 understands this decision was made during a confidential session of a council meeting on Tuesday.

Earlier, City Speaker Dirk Smit confirmed to News24 that a portion of the meeting had been confidential.

ALSO READ: De Lille is talking 'nonsense' - DA federal council chair

He declined to divulge what was to be discussed during this time.

Two weeks ago, the City of Cape Town also held a special confidential meeting and unanimously resolved that the City's performance audit committee be instructed to appoint an independent investigator, to probe allegations against the executive director of Mayor Patricia de Lille’s office, Craig Kesson, city manager Achmat Ebrahim, and Melissa Whitehead, the commissioner of the transport and urban development authority.

They were then given seven days to provide reasons as to why they should not be placed on precautionary suspension.

Decisions

It is understood that during Tuesday's council meeting, it emerged that Kesson, Ebrahim and Whitehead would not be suspended.

It is also understood that the suspension of the portfolio manager of probity, Lindiwe Ndaba, was lifted.

Ndaba had faced allegations similar to those faced by Kesson, who was accused of misconduct.

Ebrahim had alleged that Kesson had "leaked and/or caused to be leaked confidential information of the City".

The allegations which surfaced two weeks ago resulted in claims and counterclaims surfacing among the City of Cape Town's top tier officials.

In June, the Democratic Alliance's federal executive decided to launch an inquiry into political tensions within the Cape Town caucus.

Maladministration allegations

The inquiry, which had been concluded, involved looking into allegations of wrongdoing, including those of maladministration.

An independent investigation into the matter was also launched.

The deadline for this probe is December 29. A full report will then be presented to the council.

Last week, the infighting gripping City officials intensified.

READ: City of Cape Town spat intensifies – executive director says De Lille defamed him

Kesson issued a statement in which he said claims that De Lille had made about him in a statement of her own were an attack on his character.

He was, therefore, seeking legal advice on the matter.

The same day that Kesson issued a statement, DA federal council chairperson James Selfe labelled De Lille's claim that there were attempts within the party to undermine spatial integration in the city as "nonsense".

READ: 'Bullying' De Lille wanted alleged tender irregularity report to 'go away' - executive director

The claims and counterclaims between De Lille and Kesson stem from a 42-page affidavit by Kesson, which became public last Tuesday.

In it, Kesson made scathing allegations against De Lille.

These included that she had planned to publicly discredit a senior city staffer who questioned alleged tender irregularities. Another claim was that De Lille had asked that a report into a possible R43m loss regarding another tender be made to "go away".

ALSO READ: It's criminal, not whistleblowing – De Lille hits back at executive director’s claims

De Lille then issued a statement in response to Kesson's affidavit, saying that his "false" disclosures could not be viewed as the actions of a whistleblower, but were instead a criminal offence.

She said she also believed Kesson had leaked information and claims against her to certain politicians, which she said was "suggestive of a political campaign".

Read more on:    city of cape town  |  patricia de lille  |  cape town  |  corruption  |  local government

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.