Bisley residents believe that municipal workers may be responsible for a power surge that resulted in most of their electronics exploding on Sunday night.Residents living on Long and Gilbert roads said they are now left with thousands of rands worth of damaged electronics and “the municipality should take responsibility for it”.The power surge happened at around 11.30 am on Sunday.“It sounded like gunshots. I got such a fright and was hysterical and ran into the other room for cover but after a while I realised it was the sound of all my electronics blowing up,” said a resident.She said her neighbours, whose house is directly opposite the substation, told her that there were municipal employees working on the substation shortly before the power surge occurred.“But when I called the municipality, they said that thieves stole something from the substation that resulted in the power surge,” she said. “This is not theft. It is their incompetence.”Another neighbour said he also watched municipal employees working on the substation for “most of the morning” and was “surprised” when the call centre agent said it was theft that caused the influx of power in the grid.A Long Road resident, Mervin Fandilands, said that he was still accounting for all the damaged goods in his house following the power surge.He has since confirmed that his geyser timer, dishwasher, DVD player, surround sound system and Sony Playstation were all “fried”.Another household had their air conditioner, computer, garage motor, television and other appliances explode.The residents said the struggle they faced now was claiming for their damaged goods via their household insurance and paying the excess fee. “We have since lost out on our no-claim bonus from our home insurance. We were due to get over R3 000 but now we are forced to claim from insurance for our damaged property,” said one resident.Msunduzi Municipality did not respond to questions by the time of going to print.