Coffin case back in court for sentencing

2017-10-23 06:09
Coffin assault accused Willem Oosthuizen and Theo Jackson. (Lerato Sejake, News24)

Coffin assault accused Willem Oosthuizen and Theo Jackson. (Lerato Sejake, News24)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories


WATCH: Coffin assault duo found guilty

2017-08-25 15:10

The two accused in the coffin assault case have been found guilty in the Middleburg Magistrate's Court. WATCH

Middelburg – Sentencing proceedings in the case in which two men forced another into a coffin are expected to be heard in the Middelburg Magistrate’s Court on Monday.

Judge Segopotje Sheila Mphahlele ruled that Willem Oosthuizen and Theo Jackson were guilty of assault, attempted murder, kidnapping and intimidation.

"The verdict will be a lesson to those who are engaging themselves in racism," victim Victor Mlotshwa had said.

 "I am feeling very good that they have been found guilty. I always said I wanted justice."

During the previous proceedings, the court gallery was packed to capacity with ANC, EFF and DA supporters.

Following the verdict, Mlotshwa's mother Lonia said she wanted the accused to be "sentenced for what they did to my son".

"They messed ... with his head. It took time to take him to doctors in order to help him get his mind back to normal," she said.

The ANC's Speedy Mashilo said the party hoped for not less than 15 years for the accused.

During their two week long trial, the accused argued that they had to act when Mlotshwa allegedly threatened to burn their crops and murder their wives and children.

Jackson told the court that he was told to "get rid" of the coffin because it was causing trouble. The coffin would have been used as crucial evidence in the case.

During his evidence-in-chief led by his lawyer Org Basson, Jackson said he never considered what they did to Mlotshwa as wrong.

Mlotshwa had previously testified that Jackson made use of the knobkerrie to assault him all over his body, but "mostly on the back".

He also said the duo had used cable ties to restrain him.

They were granted R1 000 bail in July after reapplying for bail.

Read more on:    victor mlotshwa  |  crime

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.