Comrades in potential TV blackout

2019-04-24 15:41

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

With 45 days left before the much-anticipated Comrades Marathon, there is still no guarantee that the popular race will be televised live, the Comrades Marathon Association (CMA) has confirmed.

After the cash-strapped SABC failed to televise the Two Oceans Marathon at the weekend, there emerged fears that national broadcaster may not broadcast one of the country’s prestigious events, the Comrades Marathon.

It appeared that there was no agreement between Athletics South Africa and SABC to televise the race.

The SABC’s failure to broadcast the Two Oceans denied local people a chance to see the Midlands runner and three-times Comrades Marathon champion Bongmusa Mthe-mbu winning the race in Cape Town on Saturday. The Bulwer-born athlete, who is busy with preparations to defend his Comrades Marathon title for the third time on the trot, finished the race with an impressive time of 3:08:40.

CMA general manager Keletso Totlhanyo admitted on Tuesday that there is no deal at the moment between the parties, but said she is hopeful an agreement will be reached soon.

This year’s event is scheduled for June 9 and will start in Durban and finish in Pietermaritzburg.

Totlhanyo revealed that SABC and ASA will meet on Wednesday with the aim of finding a solution to the problem, but also said the good thing is that “now we have been given permission to negotiate directly with the public broadcaster”.

“We are aware that people are worried, we are also worried as the CMA and I’m sure the SABC is worried, but we are doing everything in our power to make sure Comrades is on TV,” she said. “Though we don’t know what seems to be the problem, we understand that the SABC is challenged financially.”

For some time now the SABC has experienced a serious financial crisis which has seen them failing to show some important Bafana Bafana games as they couldn’t afford to pay for broadcasting rights from the SA Football Association.

Last month it was reported that Communications Minister Stella Ndabeni-Abrahams announced that the National Treasury had agreed to provide the SABC with interim financial relief to prevent the broadcaster from collapsing by the end of March. In January, the public broadcaster failed to pay its employees’ salaries on time, while late last year the SABC announced its plan to retrench 981 permanent staff and 1 200 freelancers. According to reports the SABC needs at least R6,8 billion to keep afloat.

Attempts to get comment from the SABC were unsuccessful.

Read more on:    pietermaritzburg  |  comrades marathon
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24

 
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.