Conference will go ahead, despite court challenge - Free State ANC

2017-12-11 15:39

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Free State – The ANC in the Free State has dismissed the threat of yet another court battle over the legitimacy of its provincial congress, and says it will push on with its second day of conference.

Hanno Bekker, an attorney acting on behalf of disgruntled members of the party, said around 32% of the province’s branches are seeking to have the 8th provincial congress nullified due to a failure to comply with a court ruling.

Last week, the High Court in Bloemfontein ruled that the provincial congress could not go ahead until it had rerun 29 branch general meetings. The ANC in the province insists it has done so, but Bekker said irregularities that plagued processes in the lead up to the previous court ruling have prevailed.

READ: Application brought to prevent ANC Free State delegates from attending national conference

ANC provincial spokesperson Thabo Meeko said the provincial executive committee (PEC) knew nothing about a pending court matter or an application against their congress.

"We are not aware of any court case against us... it is the media yesterday (Sunday)... and even now, my suspicion is that you are insinuating there’s one, [but] until our lawyers are saying there is something on the table, we can’t canvas for something to come our way," said Meeko.

He said the province was aware of the judgment against it and was doing all it could do to adhere to it.

"As the PEC, led by the chair, we have done everything else, that’s why from time to time we have had to pause, stretch consultations, consult with everybody," he said.

The leadership was trying to do everything impossible, said Meeko, referring to the province’s court obligations.

He said the leadership had even engaged those who took the province to court.

The provincial spokesperson also said no one had boycotted the conference.

"I don’t know what else the ANC in this province must do," he asked rhetorically.

Meeko also denied claims that some, including provincial deputy chairperson Thabo Manyoni, had boycotted the conference, but said no excuse was sent to the provincial secretary by Ace Magashule’s deputy.

*Visit our special report, #ANCVotes, for all the news, analysis and opinions about the ANC’s national elective conference

Read more on:    anc  |  ace magashule  |  bloemfontein  |  anc votes  |  anc leadership race  |  politics

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.