Durban – Nearly 10 months after a girl was assaulted at a high school in Inanda, police are finally willing to take her statement.Those officers who initially refused to help her could face disciplinary action, KwaZulu-Natal police spokesperson Lieutenant-Colonel Thulani Zwane said on Friday.He said police were not aware of a video of the assault, which had been circulating on social media. A case would be opened for investigation later on Friday, after police had obtained a statement from her, he said.The boy allegedly attacked the girl at the Siyathuthuka Secondary School in November 2016.“Should any member be found to be answerable of failing to carry out his or her duties, disciplinary action will be instituted,” Zwane said.The girl’s father had told News24 he took his daughter and her blood-stained uniform to local police on the day of the incident.“Police first told me there were no vans available to go take us to the perpetrator’s home. They then told me that it would be a waste of time to open a case against the boy because he would be set free in court,” he said.The boy lives in the same area.“Whenever he sees me, he runs away. I wish police arrest him soon before I catch him first, because if I do, he might die and I’ll end up in jail,” he said.On the day of the assault, he went to the alleged perpetrator’s home, but his parents were not there.“I only found him there. He told me that he beat her up because she and other girls had said he was skinny like he was HIV positive,” he said.He had since moved his daughter to another school in the area."She passed last year and she is still doing well at school, although sometimes she tells me that other learners keep tormenting her about the video," he said.KwaZulu-Natal education MEC Mthandeni Dlungwana's spokesperson Kwazi Mthethwa said the department’s officials had met the school principal.He asked people to stop circulating the video on social media to protect the girl.