Coronavirus: I am sorry, says Pretoria man who was arrested after recording himself at large gathering

2020-03-29 21:34
(Gallo Images/Alet Pretorius)

(Gallo Images/Alet Pretorius)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

A 36-year-old Pretoria man, who was arrested after recording himself poking fun at efforts to contain the novel coronavirus during a gathering of more than 100 people, has apologised.

The man posted a video on Twitter on Saturday and expressed regret for his behaviour

"I know how serious coronavirus is, last week I posted a video regarding coronavirus, so please stay home and stay safe."

Police Minister Bheki Cele's office said the man was returning from a funeral with friends on 21 March when they gathered at Temba Square in Hammanskraal and started playing music and drinking alcohol in public, in what has become known as an "after tears" ceremony.

The man had contravened regulations associated with the state of disaster the country finds itself in, by attending the gathering of more than 100 people and poking fun at the government's efforts to contain the spread of the virus.

"Guys, you can see for yourselves, Hammanskraal has life. You can see, look," the man said in the short video.

"It's all over. There isn't a single person wearing a mask. Those things don't work. There's life in Hammanskraal. Look how full it is and all the taverns are closed, they closed at 13:00.

"This is 'Skraal, there's life here, bras [guys]. It's happening in Hammanskraal, there's none of these things of Corona and what what. Oh yeah."

He was tracked down and arrested at 23:30 on Friday.

"This should come as a warning to those who continue to make a mockery of the Covid-19 scourge and undermine the efforts of government, that the law will not be kind to their ilk," Cele said as he commended officers for the arrest.

Cele encouraged people to report the spread of fake news to the Hawks' serious commercial crime unit via email at either govindasamip@saps.gov.za or cavenportb@saps.gov.za

On Friday, Cele announced that 55 people had been arrested nationally for defying the lockdown by, among others, participating in street bashes or sitting in a group and drinking alcohol in public.

- Compiled by Nhlanhla Jele

Read more on:    pretoria  |  coronavirus
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Lockdown For
DAYS
HRS
MINS
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.