CPS dismisses Dangor's 'unsubstantiated allegations'

2017-04-13 17:06
Zane Dangor (Twitter)

Zane Dangor (Twitter)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Johannesburg - Cash Paymaster Services (CPS) has dismissed the "unsubstantiated allegations" made against it by former Social Development Department director general Zane Dangor in his affidavit.

In court papers filed on Thursday in response to Dangor, the company said the allegations made by him were also irrelevant to the issue before the court.

"CPS objects to the unsubstantiated allegations and insinuations of impropriety that Dangor makes against CPS in his affidavits," CPS director Nunthakumarin Pillay said in an affidavit filed at the Constitutional Court.

Dangor filed an affidavit to the Constitutional Court on Monday, backing former SA Social Security Agency (Sassa) head Thokozani Magwaza's stand against Dlamini.

In his affidavit, Dangor said he had warned Minister Bathabile Dlamini at a meeting in October that he had the "distinct impression" that there was an element of self-created delay to ensure CPS continued to pay social grants.

He said he had raised two concerns: That there might be legal challenges to a new contract with CPS and that this might delay the payment of grants; and that a new contract might be "a political minefield and immoral".

'Appropriate time, forum'

This was in the context of "emerging evidence that CPS was involved in immoral and/or illegal deductions from the accounts of grant recipients".

Pillay in response said: "CPS does not consider this the appropriate time or forum to address the allegations and insinuations in Mr Dangor's affidavits, particularly as they are irrelevant to the issue before the court."

Pillay said CPS would address the allegations at the appropriate time and in the appropriate forum.

In its own documents to the court, CPS argued for a new two-year contract, in which it would charge Sassa R4.6bn over two years.

Magwaza's affidavit, filed earlier this month, suggested Dlamini was determined to ensure that Sassa would not take over the distribution of social grants.

Read more on:    sassa  |  cps  |  zane dangor  |  social grants

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
ADVERTORIAL
Competition regulation for a growing and inclusive economy

ADVERTORIAL: The Competition Commission of South Africa is conducting advocacy work in the South African automotive aftermarket industry and has gazetted a Draft Code of Conduct for public comment.

/News
 

Man scores date with tennis superstar after Twitter bet

It’s a modern day Cinderella story, but one American man took ‘shoot your shot’ seriously in 2017.

 
 

You won't want to miss...

Who are the highest paid models of 2017?
10 gorgeous plus-sized models who aren't Ashley Graham
5 top leg exercises for men
10 best dressed men of 2017
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.