Crash case ‘dragging’

2016-07-04 11:00
The scene of the accident.

The scene of the accident. ( )

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Pietermaritzburg - A Pietermaritzburg man is still waiting for closure almost two years after losing his daughter, grandson and son-in-law in a fatal crash on the N3.

December 5, 2014 is a date irrelevant to most people, but one that haunts resident Rasheed Khan, who is still searching for answers from authorities on whether the driver of the taxi that slammed into his family will be charged.

It is the day he lost his son-in-law Ravi Moodley (a former policeman) and daughter Zainub Bibi.

The couple’s son (Khan’s grandson), Dillian, died of his injuries in hospital about a month later, on his father’s birthday.

Khan said he had sat down to a meal that day when his elder daughter called and said she was coming to fetch him.

“I asked what had happened. All she said was ‘Zainub’, and my body went cold.

“I think of my children every single day. Sometimes while sitting in the office I just burst into tears. Why is the investigation taking so long? They [police] must give me an answer,” Khan said, wiping tears from his eyes.

He said Moodley fetched Bibi from work on the day of the crash for a surprise dinner in Durban, along with their sons Dillian and Rohit.

“My son-in-law was an angel that way. He would always surprise my daughter with spontaneous gestures like a special dinner,” Khan said.

It is believed a taxi carrying a full load of passengers heading towards Pietermaritzburg crashed through the median and collided with the family’s car on the N3 near the Cato Ridge turn-off.

At the time, The Witness reported that the crash left two people dead and 18 injured.

Bibi was flung through the windscreen and is believed to have died immediately, while Moodley was trapped in the wreckage and died just before paramedics got to the scene.

Injuries were sustained by passengers in the taxi and others travelling in a bakkie that crashed into the roadside barrier while swerving to avoid colliding with the wreckage.

Dillian, who was 18, was rushed to hospital in a critical condition.

Khan said Dillian, who was in a coma, was transferred between hospitals in Pietermaritzburg and Durban, but died about a month later.

His brother, Rohit (21), was physically unscathed apart from a cut to his forehead.

Khan said he had locked horns with Hammarsdale police investigating the case and alleged that the officers were “beating around the bush”.

They kept saying an arrest was imminent each time he called, he said.

“I cannot forget the taxi driver’s name. I called him many times, but he will not answer my calls. The police give me a different story each time I call, saying the taxi driver is in Cape Town, then in Durban, then somewhere else.”

Khan said the only surviving members of the family are Rohit and his sister Nadia, who is now 14.

According to Khan, Nadia is a “carbon copy” of her mother.

“It breaks my heart when I see my granddaughter because I am reminded of my daughter. All I want is to know what the outcome of the investigation is so we can get closure,” he said.

KwaZulu-Natal police spokesperson Lieutenant-Colonel Shooz Magudulela said according to the Hammarsdale crime administration system, a case of culpable homicide was opened for investigation and the docket was sent to the Director of Public Prosecutions for a decision in March 2016.

Magudulela did not say why the investigation took over a year to complete.


Read more on:    pietermaritzburg  |  crash

Inside News24


Matric Results are coming soon!

Notify me when results become available

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.