DA dangles car in bid to entice young voters

2019-01-16 17:17
Suzuki Swift

Suzuki Swift

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

As South Africa ticks off the days before final voter registration on January 26 and 27, the race is on to get particularly young South Africans to register to vote.

To this end, the DA has launched its Superpower campaign in which a car is up for grabs to anyone registering to vote – regardless of what party they vote for.

The campaign, styled around a superhero cartoon, offers a Suzuki Swift – which retails from R160 900 – to one winner whose registration as a voter can be verified.

According to DA national spokesperson Solly Malatsi, the Superpower campaign aims to encourage younger people to "fulfil their power and right to vote" by registering for and voting in the national elections "so that they can fulfil their civic duty".

Speaking to News24 on Wednesday, Malatsi said: "We have used DA youth leaders across the country in this campaign. [We want] to incentivise young people [to register] so that we can increase the number of those registered to vote, but also to participate in elections."

Citing figures from past elections, Malatsi said fewer and fewer young people participate in elections.

"This is a way of encouraging young people to be involved in politics."

Malatsi described the response to the campaign as "incredible", saying that the party hoped that "hundreds of thousands" of new voters would register.

'Shrewd campaign'

Political analyst Thabani Khumalo told IOL that all citizens had a responsibility to encourage people to participate in democracy.

"The party has done something shrewd with this campaign," he reportedly said.

Khumalo told IOL he believed the DA and EFF stood a chance of getting a huge number of votes from young people.

"The ANC's votes will mostly come from older people. The ANC targets older people using food parcels and talks of social grants," Khumalo told IOL.   

News24's attempts to get hold of Independent Electoral Commission (IEC) officials on Wednesday through phone calls and text messages were unsuccessful. 

However, IEC spokesperson for KwaZulu-Natal Mawethu Mosery told Daily News in Durban that the IEC welcomed campaigns such as the DA's. 

"Only 20% of the young population are registered to vote, so we are always looking to get the remaining 80% registered," Mosery reportedly said.superpower campaign

The DA's win-a-car registration campaign. (Screen shot)

KEEP UPDATED on the latest news by subscribing to our FREE newsletter.

- FOLLOW News24 on Twitter


Read more on:    da  |  iec  |  solly malatsi  |  durban ­  |  politics
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.