DA gives De Lille until Monday to answer to slew of allegations

2017-12-14 20:47
Cape Town Mayor Patricia de Lille (Gallo Images)

Cape Town Mayor Patricia de Lille (Gallo Images)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Cape Town – Cape Town Mayor Patricia de Lille, who has come under fire recently with staffers making damaging claims against her, has been given until Monday to respond to several allegations she faces.

In September, it emerged that a subcommittee, headed by parliamentary whip John Steenhuisen, was established by the DA's federal executive to look into tensions and political management in the City of Cape Town.

This subcommittee, convened by DA leader Mmusi Maimane, had started its hearings on October 3.

It is understood that several councillors testified in the hearings and that several allegations were made against, among others, De Lille.

News24 understands a report was compiled on this.

Resignation rumours

On Thursday, De Lille told News24 that she had received documents from the DA and had been given until Monday to respond to the subcommittee's report.

"I'm still in the process of preparing my response," she said.

After Monday, De Lille said she would be in a better position to elaborate on the matter.

An article which appeared online on Thursday alleged De Lille and City of Cape Town speaker Dirk Smit had been asked to resign by Monday.

But Smit on Thursday said this was incorrect.

He would not divulge anymore information, saying the "document" he had received was confidential.

Murder plot allegations

One of the several matters which the subcommittee headed by Steenhuisen looked into was De Lille's shutting down of the City's special investigations unit.

This move had resulted in a spat between her and mayoral committee member for safety, security and social services JP Smith, who had overseen the unit.

The unit also unearthed shocking claims that some city councillors may have been involved in a murder and that upgrades to De Lille's home may not have been legal.

READ: EXCLUSIVE: Murder, irregularity claims surface after De Lille 'shuts down' City of Cape Town investigative unit

Smith believed De Lille had gone behind his back in shutting down the anti-crime unit and then ignored him when he tried to find out about the matter.

He made a submission, dated August 20, about De Lille's order to have the unit shut down.

In it, Smith did not directly make accusations against De Lille, but said claims and rumours had been heard from others.

In October, the DA placed De Lille and Smith on special leave from party activities in the Cape metropole.

Independent investigation

A separate independent investigation into allegations of wrongdoing, including those of maladministration, within the City of Cape Town is also being conducted.

The deadline for this probe is December 29. A full report will then be presented to the council.

This investigation relates to a special confidential meeting held by the City in November.

During this meeting, it was unanimously resolved that the City's performance audit committee be instructed to appoint an independent investigator to probe allegations against the executive director of De Lille's office, Craig Kesson, city manager Achmat Ebrahim and Melissa Whitehead, the commissioner of the transport and urban development authority.

The trio was then given seven days to provide reasons why they should not be placed on precautionary suspension.

It was then decided they would not be suspended.

This process resulted in several claims and counterclaims being made against some of the city's most senior staffers.

READ: 'Bullying' De Lille wanted alleged tender irregularity report to 'go away' - executive director

In an affidavit, Kesson alleged that De Lille had planned to publicly discredit a senior city staffer who questioned alleged tender irregularities. 

He also claimed De Lille had asked that a report into a possible R43m loss regarding another tender be made to "go away".

De Lille hit back via a statement, saying that Kesson's "false" disclosures could not be viewed as the actions of a whistleblower, but were instead a criminal offence.

Read more on:    da  |  patricia de lille  |  cape town

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.