A Chase Valley school suspects a pupil brought drug-laced sweets to school, which apparently led to another pupil falling sick. But the mother of the 13-year-old told The Witness that her daughter had taken nothing more than a box of sweets bought from a shop to school. The mother was called to the school on Friday for a meeting with the principal, but could not make it because of work commitments. She said on Friday that her daughter had taken a box of sweets to school on Thursday. The sweets were a brand of jelly beans where some beans have strange flavours like rotten eggs. The pupil shared sweets with four or five friends, the mother said. “The allegation the school is making is that it was drugs. The headmaster called me [Thursday] evening and asked if we can meet because the parents of the child who got sick want answers. But did a doctor say that it was the sweets that made him sick? There is no medical report.” She added: “I could understand if it was in an unmarked box or if it was something I had baked. But I bought this from a Sasol garage.” The principal of the school declined to speak to The Witness on Friday. Asked why she did not just make time to meet the principal to clear her daughter’s name, the mother said: “This is so silly. It’s a waste of time. There is a measles outbreak, and there is a gastric [bug] going around. It was not the sweets. He is making us look like irresponsible parents.”Director of Anti-Drug Forum South Africa, Sam Pillay, said this incident could highlight how paranoid schools had become when it came to drugs.