Disciplinary hearings against 3 SABC journos postponed

2016-07-01 12:26
Gallery  |  click on thumbnail to view larger image

SA journalists protest for media freedom

Journalists across the country picket in solidarity with SABC staff. View gallery here.

Johannesburg - The disciplinary hearing of three SABC employees who were charged with leaking a letter they had written to chief operating officer Hlaudi Motsoeneng has been postponed.

Trade Union Solidarity spokesperson Dirk Hermann told a large group of picketers outside the SABC in Johannesburg that this was a small victory because the SABC had given the employees less than 24 hours to prepare for their legal arguments.

"One thing that can't be silenced is freedom of speech. This is the first victory for freedom of speech," he said.

Two disciplinary hearings had taken place at the SABC's Johannesburg offices on Friday morning.

Jacques Steenkamp, Krivani Pillay and Busi Ntuli had been charged with leaking a letter written to Motsoeneng about their unhappiness with the editorial policies at the broadcaster.

Chanting journalists

They had been released and we're seen joining picketers outside the building.

The second hearing was for Thandeka Gqubule, Foetal Krige and Suna Venter who were accused of distancing themselves from an order not to cover protests.

It was not immediately clear what the outcome of their hearing was.

Gqubule, who had concluded her hearing, joined picketers and called for them to continue supporting the SABC employees.

"The sun is setting at midday," she told the crowd.

She said journalism as a vocation was at a threat and the country needed to stand up and support the fight for freedom of expression and press freedom.

A large group of supporters within various media houses and civil organisations had gathered outside the building, picketing outside chanting "Hlaudi Must Go!" and calling for the six employees to be released to join the march to Constitutional Hill in Braamfontein.

Dressed in black, many carried posters with the words "JournalismRights" "Not in my name" "Hlaudi Must Go" written on them.

Here are some tweets on the SABC protest:

Read more on:    sabc  |  media freedom  |  media

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
ADVERTORIAL
Competition regulation for a growing and inclusive economy

ADVERTORIAL: The Competition Commission of South Africa is conducting advocacy work in the South African automotive aftermarket industry and has gazetted a Draft Code of Conduct for public comment.

/News
 

Man scores date with tennis superstar after Twitter bet

It’s a modern day Cinderella story, but one American man took ‘shoot your shot’ seriously in 2017.

 
 

You won't want to miss...

Who are the highest paid models of 2017?
10 gorgeous plus-sized models who aren't Ashley Graham
5 top leg exercises for men
10 best dressed men of 2017
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.