Durban calm after protests – metro police

2016-06-06 16:26
(Amanda Khoza, News24)

(Amanda Khoza, News24)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories


WATCH: Shots ring out during violent KZN protest

2016-06-06 12:15

A string of protests around Durban have disrupted traffic and the working day, with the city urging motorists to be cautious. Watch.WATCH

Durban – eThekwini Metro Police spokesperson Superintendent Sbonelo Mchunu confirmed that the city was finally calm after violent protests shut down major roads on Monday.

"For the moment, things are calm. Law enforcement officials are still monitoring the situation. We are still on guard. We have called in all our resources. Law enforcement will maintain calm. We do not expect any delays for motorists or commuters this afternoon."

City spokesperson Tozi Mthethwa said Metro Police, Disaster Management and Operation Sukuma Sakhe/Rapid Response officials were gathering information from protesting residents.

"City law enforcement is also on site to reroute traffic and to ensure the safety of motorists and residents."

The eThekwini Metro Police had earlier been deployed to several hotspots around the city to disperse crowds of people who stoned cars and barricaded roads. Protesters had blockaded roads with rocks and burning tyres.

Mchunu earlier said several groups of people had "made serious attempts" to close the N2, the Umgeni Connaught Interchange and the M19.

Man shot in stomach

"We think that the people are being incited by individuals who were not nominated as councillors for their respective political parties. We are dealing with them," Mchunu said at the time.

Several vehicles at a panel beater on North Coast Road, near Sea Cow Lake in Durban, were also burnt during violent protests.

A man in his thirties was also in a serious condition after he was shot in the stomach.

Marshall Security medics and Netcare 911 paramedics earlier treated him at the roadside, while police protected them. Officers used stun grenades and rubber bullets to disperse the crowd.

The man was later taken to hospital. The reason for the shooting was still unclear. Netcare 911 spokesperson Athlenda Mathe told News24 that the man has since been stabilised.

The protesters stationed themselves on North Coast Road, however, after their leaders held lengthy meetings with police, they decided to return to their homes.

Read more on:    durban  |  local elections 2016  |  crime  |  protests

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.