EFF to take NDPP decision to withdraw charges against 'rogue unit' on review

2020-02-09 18:14
EFF leader Julius Malema. (Chanté Schatz, News24)

EFF leader Julius Malema. (Chanté Schatz, News24)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

The EFF is set to take the National Director of Public Prosecutions' (NDPP) decision to withdraw charges against the so-called SARS rogue unit on review.

The party's leader, Julius Malema, announced this at a press briefing on Sunday as he relayed decisions taken during the party's meeting in Centurion.

"Statements were collected. Witnesses were ready to testify. So why did you go and withdraw?" asked Malema. 

He accused NDPP Shamila Batohi of being a deployee of Pravin Gordhan, the former SARS commissioner, finance minister and now public enterprises minister.

READ | Withdrawn charges against SARS trio bodes well for rule of law - Freedom Under Law

Malema said the party had decided the case should have been concluded in court, claiming people who were white or of Indian origin were treated differently to black people. 

According to him, black people were quickly accused of corruption but not minorities.

On Friday, the NDPP announced charges against Ivan Pillay, Andries Janse van Rensburg and Johan van Loggerenberg would be withdrawn.  

The men were charged with offences relating to the alleged bugging of the offices of the erstwhile Scorpions and NPA in 2007. It was alleged bugging equipment had been installed at the NPA's head office in Silverton, Pretoria.

They were also charged with contravening the Regulation of Interception of Communications Act and corruption, while Pillay and Van Loggerenberg were accused of illegally giving R100 000 to a person whose name has been withheld.

In the announcement on Friday, the NDPP said following protracted litigation and communication between the three accused and National Prosecuting Authority (NPA), a review panel was set up consisting of the director of public prosecutions, Barry Madolo, the acting director of public prosecutions, advocate Indra Goberdan, and the deputy director of public prosecutions, advocate Adrian Mopp.

"After a careful assessment of the evidence and other relevant material, the unanimous conclusion of the panel in respect of all counts, is that there are no reasonable prospects of a successful prosecution.

"The panel recommends that all charges against the accused be withdrawn," NPA head of communications Bulelwa Makeke said in the statement.

Read more on:    npa  |  eff  |  johan van loggerenberg  |  julius malema  |  pravin gordhan  |  politics
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.