Emotional mother reunited with toddlers after nanny allegedly kidnaps them

2016-04-14 15:54
(File, Saps)

(File, Saps)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Durban – When a mother from Albersville on the KwaZulu-Natal South Coast was reunited with her two toddlers after they went missing on Monday, she held them tightly for 20 minutes, all the while thanking God they had been found alive and safe.

The mother on Thursday described "a nightmare and the worst 48 hours of her life" as police and the family searched for the children. 

During this time, beside herself with fear for her children, she even walked about an hour to the township outside town to look for the woman entrusted with the care of her son and daughter.

Events unfolded on Monday when her 3-year-old son and his 2-year-old sister were left in the care of their nanny, who had been employed by the family for three months.

When their parents returned from work there was no sign of the children or their nanny. After a frantic search they were on Wednesday found with their nanny in Louisiana just outside town.  

Panic set in

The toddler's mother said before leaving the house at around 07:00 in the morning she usually kissed her son and her daughter, goodbye.

But on Monday, the merchandiser left home at around 07:30, rushing to get to work. When she returned home at 17:30 she found her husband standing outside their locked house.

“We were both confused. We thought maybe the nanny had taken the children with her to the shops.”

Then panic set in. “I then went to my cousin down the road and she was not there. I went to our old nanny and she was not there. We went to another cousin and she was not there so we decided to go home.”

When the clock struck 19:30 and the children and their nanny were still not back, she feared the worst.

“It was like I was in a nightmare. We reported the matter [to the police] and it was the longest 48 hours of my life,” she said.

On Monday night she sat in her bed thinking and hoping that the nanny would return with her children on the Tuesday morning. But this did not happen.

Lost her mind

“On Tuesday it was like I had gone insane or lost my mind because I did not know where my children were.”

She said she could not sit at home while her children were missing so she walked for an hour to Louisiana where the nanny’s boyfriend stayed.

“We looked everywhere and we couldn’t find them. We got home at around 20:00 and we were tired.”

The woman said it finally hit her on Tuesday night that her children were really missing. “To come home and see that they were not there was really difficult… The house was empty and quiet and it really hit me and I cried…”

On Wednesday the frantic mom and her loved ones went back to Louisiana.  

“My husband found me walking on the road like a mad person. I looked at the schools and asked everyone that walked past us. We carried on walking to Louisiana."

In the meantime, word had spread that the police were looking for the nanny and the children.

“When we got there, there was a large crowd and the people had beaten her and they wanted me to hit her as well but I could not bring myself to do it.  

“I screamed at her and asked her where my children were... then I saw someone holding my daughter and I grabbed her but I did not see my boy.

Held them tightly

“Then I saw him on the back of another woman and I grabbed him and sat on the floor and held them tightly for about 20 minutes rocking back and forth…”

She said someone asked her not to squeeze the children too tightly. But seeing her children smile when they saw her meant all the pain faded away.

“I took a day off today [Thursday] because I just wanted to play with them.”

She said at some point [during the search] she had given up.

“I thought that I needed to face reality because maybe something bad had happened to them, but my cousin told me to be positive and have faith. We prayed and hoped that they would be found safe.

“At some point it felt like I was dead. I asked God why did he give me children? It was like a nightmare.”

Ugu police cluster spokesperson, Captain Gerald Mfeka, said the nanny was expected to appear at the Port Shepstone Magistrate's Court on Friday on charges of kidnapping.

Read more on:    durban  |  abductions  |  crime

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.