Equal Education wants R4.3m SOPA savings to go to fixing schools in Eastern Cape

2019-06-29 16:47
Equal Education members picketed at the Eastern Cape State of the Province address in Bhisho on Friday. (Supplied)

Equal Education members picketed at the Eastern Cape State of the Province address in Bhisho on Friday. (Supplied)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Equal Education (EE) wants the R4.3m saved at this year’s official opening of the Eastern Cape Legislature to be allocated to fixing schools, reports GroundUp.

On Friday, members of Equal Education picketed outside the provincial legislature ahead of the State of Province Address in Bhisho.

Earlier this month, Speaker Helen Sauls-August announced that the address would be held in the chamber and there would not be the usual tent village outside, resulting in a saving of R4.3m on the cost.

EE wants this money allocated to fixing school infrastructure in the province. It says the Eastern Cape has the greatest school infrastructure backlog in the country.

In a statement, EE said currently more than 2 000 schools in the province still have pit latrines; 197 have no access to water; 53 have no form of sanitation.

About 20 learners share one Maths Literacy textbook at Charles Morgan School near King William’s Town in the Eastern Cape, according to grade 11 learner Sibulele Mantye, who joined the picket. There are 60 learners in his class, he said.

Mantye said his school has only one teacher for Maths Literacy and she has to teach three grades.

He said in his school most toilets have broken seats and have no doors; learners relieve themselves in an open field near the school.

"Parents tried to raise money to fix some of the toilets but that didn’t help much because most parents did not contribute since they are unemployed," he said.

Gcina Mtya from Qonce High, also in King William’s Town, said the school was short of classrooms. GroundUp wrote about conditions in Qonce in 2016 and 2017.

"Our voices are not heard and that is very frustrating," said Mtya.

A memorandum was handed to Baphelele Mhlaba, Chief of Staff to Premier Oscar Mabuyane, who promised to deliver it to the Premier’s office.

KEEP UPDATED on the latest news by subscribing to our FREE newsletter.

- FOLLOW News24 on Twitter

Read more on:    port elizabeth  |  education
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24

 
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.