Eugene de Kock allowed to go home

2016-09-06 16:01
Eugene de Kock

Eugene de Kock

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Pretoria – The stand-off between apartheid-era killer Eugene de Kock and correctional services has been dealt with and he has been allowed to go home, his lawyer said on Tuesday.

“The matter has been resolved and he is allowed to go home,” Julian Knight told News24.

Earlier, Knight had said his client was being held against his will at Kgosi Mampuru II prison in Pretoria.

“They will not let him go home. They wanted him to go into witness protection, but he refused. They always come with this drama. They are scared of their own shadows,” he said, referring to the State Security Agency.

He said there was no known threat against De Kock.

De Kock went to the prison to meet the area commissioner and was told he would be placed into witness protection. 

Knight said the media’s “keen interest” in the matter had helped ensure his client’s release.

“I think it was as a result of that they realised they were on thin ice if we were to go to court.”

Knight said the matter had been frustrating and correctional services should adhere to its own rules.

“These people should just do their jobs, have better lines of communication and follow their standing orders. If something like this would happen again then we will have to do what we need to do,” he said.

Read more on:    eugene de kock  |  pretoria
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.