'Everything that I worked hard for is burnt to ashes' - 200 homeless after Cape Town blaze

2019-05-20 16:12
People look upon the aftermath of Sunday mornings fire in Masiphumelele. (Photo: Ella Ndongeni)

People look upon the aftermath of Sunday mornings fire in Masiphumelele. (Photo: Ella Ndongeni)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

More than 200 people have been left homeless after a fire in S-section informal settlement in Masiphumelele in Cape Town, GroundUp reports.

Community leader Mveliso Nkunkuma said the fire started at about 01:00 on Sunday morning after a resident left a candle burning. He said the resident was taken to hospital and treated for burn wounds.

"This was not the first time his shack caught on fire because he drinks, but normally the community would see it before it spreads," said Nkunkuma.

Less than 24 hours after the fire, it had rained heavily in Cape Town. The community hall was used for people to sleep in on Sunday night.

Nkunkuma said building kits would be available on Monday.

When GroundUp arrived, people were sorting through their building materials looking for anything they could reuse. Others started clearing their sites to start building. Some were relatively lucky and were putting their belongings back in their homes.

Most people had slept outside in the early hours of Sunday morning after the fire, while others found shelter with friends and relatives. Those who had managed to save their belongings had them packed neatly at the nearby church.

Senzele Mxhentsi is a security guard. He was at work when the fire started. He received a call from his neighbours at about 02:00 on Sunday.

"I sat at work the whole night while my house was burning. Everything that I have worked hard for has burnt to ashes," he said.

"All I have is my work uniform. Everything else is gone. I have to start from scratch. I don't know where to start or where I am going to sleep today."

Monwabisi Stywayi said the fire started about 10m from his shack.

"We managed to save some things but most were stolen after we saved them. I have been living here for 18 years and this is the fourth fire in that time. I don't know what we are going to do because my wife and I don't have a permanent job," he said.

"All that I had taken years to get... I feel defeated and confused. This is just too much."

The City of Cape Town's Safety and Security WhatsApp group confirmed that 119 shacks were destroyed, affecting 211 people.

KEEP UPDATED on the latest news by subscribing to our FREE newsletter.

- FOLLOW News24 on Twitter

Read more on:    cape town  |  fires
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24

 
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.