Ex-Sanlam adviser in dock for fraud, forgery

2017-01-24 17:36
(Duncan Alfreds, News24)

(Duncan Alfreds, News24)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Cape Town - A former Sanlam insurance adviser appeared in the Bellville Specialised Commercial Crimes Court on Tuesday for allegedly conning clients in Ceres out of almost R1 million in investment funds, the Hawks said.

Francois Labuschagne, 49, made a brief appearance on charges of fraud, forgery, and contravention of the Financial Advisory and Intermediary Services Act, spokesperson Captain Lloyd Ramovha said.

Between 2005 and 2010 he allegedly advised elderly clients to withdraw lump sums from an ostensibly underperforming portfolio to what he claimed was a better one.

“He would allegedly then take this cash under the pretext that he was going to deposit it into Sanlam’s business account, but instead used the money for his personal gain. Internal forensic investigations led to his dismissal in 2010, and he had been on the run since,” Ramovha said.

Labuschagne was tracked to Louis Trichardt and arrested on January 15. He appeared in the local magistrate’s court there and the case was transferred to Bellville.

Ramovha said the matter was postponed to February 23 for docket disclosure purposes. 

Read more on:    sanlam  |  cape town  |  fraud
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 

Matric Results are coming soon!

Notify me when results become available

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

/News
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.