EXCLUSIVE | Man who tried to rob bank in Pretoria mall is a former Scorpions investigator

2019-09-17 19:05
The scene on Tuesday at the Menlyn Maine shopping centre. (Deaan Vivier, Netwerk24)

The scene on Tuesday at the Menlyn Maine shopping centre. (Deaan Vivier, Netwerk24)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

The man who allegedly tried to rob a bank at the Menlyn Maine shopping centre in Pretoria has been identified as a former investigator for the now-defunct Scorpions.

Two of his former colleagues confirmed to News24 that the suspect, who was arrested on Tuesday morning, was Mossie Mostert.

News24 was also told by both sources that Mostert had allegedly been suffering financially.

READ: Man who tried to rob bank donned a wig, sprinkled fake bomb with gunpowder

Since leaving the directorate of special operations (the Scorpions) and police, Mostert had been plying his trade as a private investigator at a company called Mostert Security Solutions.

According to the police, the suspect was believed to have entered an Absa Bank at around 11:15 and walked straight to a bank teller, before handing over a note.

He had disguised himself, wearing a wig, and entered the bank with a device, which he later revealed to be a bomb.

Police spokesperson Captain Colette Weilbach said the note stated he had a bomb and he wanted an undisclosed amount of money. The bank teller then pressed the silent alarm.

Menlyn Maine
The scene on Tuesday at the Menlyn Maine shopping centre. (Deaan Vivier, Netwerk24)

"Security immediately reacted and evacuated the whole shopping centre. The police responded and arrested the man inside the bank. A firearm was confiscated," Weilbach said.

The police's bomb squad and K9 units were called to the scene to inspect the device. While the sniffer dogs initially reacted positively to the device, the bomb disposal unit found that it was not a bomb but that the man had sprinkled gunpowder on the device to give it authenticity.

Several employees working at different stores had no idea what was transpiring, only telling News24 the alarm had gone off and that security had asked them to leave the centre and wait at the designated areas.

READ MORE: Pretoria mall evacuated after bomb threat, man who demanded 'large sum' arrested

One employee at a store, who did not want to be named, said he had seen employees of the bank, which were allegedly held up, and that they looked stressed out.

A paramedic source on the scene said bank employees were receiving trauma counselling.

By 15:00 on Tuesday, the shopping centre was declared safe by the police and reopened. 

Mostert is expected to appear in the Hatfield Community Court soon on charges of making a false threat and attempted bank robbery.

Read more on:    tshwane  |  crime
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.