Exco refuses to allow trips arranged without regard to cost-cutting

2018-08-17 16:21

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Msunduzi's executive committee has declined to approve three international trips for councillors and officials as they are not in line with the municipality’s cost containment strategy.

The reports on the trips to Malaysia, Vietnam and Germany were brought before the exco for its approval on Thursday.

The request was for permission to allow the manager for library services Mandla Ntombela and the chairperson for the community services Sphamandla Khumalo to travel to the International Federation of Library Associations in Malaysia next week.

Chairperson for the sustainable development portfolio committee Eunice Majola-Zondi and two senior officials have been invited to Germany for the fifth workshop of the South African German City Network next month.

The trip to Vietnam was for two officials and the deputy mayor Thobani Zuma for the factory acceptance testing for two electricity transformers that have been purchased to upgrade the Pine Street substation.

The exco members said they could not approve the trips as that would be in breach of the cost containment strategy adopted by council in January.

The strategy, which saw a ban on things like events and international trips, was adopted to reduce the City’s expenditure, which is reportedly higher than its revenue.

The councillors acknowledged that not all the costs for the trips would be borne by council, as they would either be partially funded by the hosts or a grant from national government, but said the ban on trips was not negotiable unless council states otherwise.

Chief executive officer and acting municipal manager Neli Ngcobo said even on the fully-funded trips council still has to pay the officials’ allowances.

She recommended that council should review the cost containment strategy on items that affect service delivery, but said they “can’t do anything without a council resolution on trips like these”. Her proposal was unanimously supported by councillors.

General manager for community services Boniwe Zulu said arrangements for the Malaysian trip had already started because it takes place next week. “You cannot organise an international trip a week before so if people don’t go there will be some cost to council because bookings and other arrangements, that now have to be cancelled, had already been made,” she said.

The DA’s Glenn McArthur said those who made the travel arrangements without the approval of exco or council should pay the cost for cancelling from their own pockets.



Read more on:    pietermaritzburg  |  msunduzi municipality

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.