Fatal Joburg fire: Building was only 21% compliant, says MEC Mamabolo

2018-09-05 17:59
Joburg fire (Canny Maphanga, News24)

Joburg fire (Canny Maphanga, News24)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

The building in which three firefighters died on Wednesday was only 21% compliant with safety regulations. 

This is according to Gauteng MEC for infrastructure development Jacob Mamabolo. 

Two firefighters died after they became trapped in the building that is shared by the departments of health, human settlements and cooperative governance. Another firefighter fell to his death earlier in the day while battling the blaze. 

"The building simply does not comply with safety and health regulations. Government officials will stay at home until there is a safe building to relocate them to," Mamabolo said at a media briefing at the scene on Wednesday afternoon. 

READ: Fatal fire: Shop stewards who raised concerns about safety at Joburg building were dismissed - Nehawu

All government officials were safely evacuated after the fire broke out on the 23rd floor. However, 13 employees, as well as eight firefighters were taken to hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation. 

Investigations into what caused the blaze would be undertaken, although there have been suspicions that an electrical fault could be to blame. 

Allegations of multiple fires

"At this point, we are not aware of what the causes of the fire are. The City of Johannesburg, working together with us, will conduct an investigation and I would like to appeal to everybody to not speculate," Mamabolo said. 

The National Education and Health Allied Workers' Union (Nehawu) told News24 that several shop stewards were dismissed after they raised concerns about the building in 2014. 

"As a union we have been consistently raising concerns about the defects in the building since 2014," Nehawu Gauteng provincial secretary Tshepo Mokheranyana said. 

Some of the staff alleged that this was the third fire in a year. 


Mamabolo declined to comment on the claims. 

"I will engage with the union and commission an inquiry, and I will make sure we get a proper report on that," Mamabolo told News24. 

Johannesburg emergency services' Nana Radebe said the fire had been put out by late Wednesday afternoon.

The City of Johannesburg has passed on its sincerest condolences to the families of the deceased.

MMC for Public Safety Michael Sun said both Albertina Sisulu and Pixley Seme streets would be closed on Thursday to ensure that no pedestrians or motorists came near the building as glass was still falling.

"We certainly don't want to see anymore injuries," Sun said. 

Read more on:    johannesburg

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.