Durban - KwaZulu-Natal Health MEC Sibongiseni Dhlomo on Wednesday described a shooting incident at King Edward VIII Hospital, which left two people dead, as "unfortunate and unnecessary".Two people were killed when a group of men, believed to be staff members demanding to be made permanent, stormed the hospital in the early hours of Wednesday morning.KwaZulu-Natal police told News24 earlier that the two men, aged between 25 and 45, were shot by three unknown suspects.It was believed the shootings, which occurred around 03:00, were related to the ongoing strike involving security guards and cleaners at a number of government hospitals in Durban. They are demanding that they be made permanent employees.The police were investigating the possible link.Dhlomo said two intruders were shot dead and a security guard was shot in the leg.According to Dhlomo, the intruders were part of a group of aggrieved workers who were employed by outsourced security companies.Strikers urged to use 'appropriate channels'"The Department understands that the unknown armed men entered the hospital and a shootout ensued between them and security guards on duty. Two of the intruders were shot dead, and a security guard had to receive treatment in the trauma unit after being shot in the leg."A nurse was also assaulted while walking from the matron's office to the transport department."Police found one body at the hospital and another was discovered at the Congella Park sports field.Dhlomo said: "This is a very unfortunate and unnecessary incident. I would like to once again urge any aggrieved individuals to desist from perpetrating acts of violence, and instead follow the appropriate channels, using recognised labour formations, to air their grievances."We also wish to call upon law enforcement authorities to work to ensure that people who break the law, or those behind acts of sabotage, are apprehended and made to face the full might of the law."The department said no patients had to be evacuated because of the incident.