Gauteng Sadtu calls off protest

2017-07-31 19:34
(Sadtu)

(Sadtu)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Johannesburg - The SA Democratic Teachers Union (Sadtu) called off its planned work-to-rule protest on Monday after a dispute over district official transfers in Johannesburg south was resolved, Sadtu regional secretary Moses Maluleke said.

"We are very happy because we did not want to engage in any programme that would stand in the way of preparations for matric prelims and other academic progress," said Maluleke of the 11th-hour settlement with the Gauteng Department of Education.

The dispute centred around the transfer of "problematic" circuit managers to another area.

The union's Gauteng Central Region felt that the transfers were being handled inconsistently.

One transfer in particular, relating to an official in Johannesburg south, was still outstanding, and this had been the final straw for the union, which wants the official out.

According to a circular issued last Thursday to its members in the region, Sadtu's work-to-rule would have included not issuing report cards for exams written in June and not allowing department officials in schools.

Read more on:    sadtu  |  johannesburg  |  protests
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.