Guard dies after inhaling toxic fumes from brazier warming him on winter night duty

2018-07-22 21:12


Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

A 43-year-old man guarding an empty building next to Clearwater Mall in Roodepoort died after inhaling fumes from a brazier that was keeping him and a colleague warm during the winter nightshift, police said on Sunday.

Captain Tinyiko Mathebula said he was guarding the Department of Public Works building with his 28-year-old colleague in the early hours of Sunday.

They had been sitting around the portable metal container, also known as an imbaula, that is filled with coals and a small fire to ward off the winter cold.

A person from a building next door along Allen's Nek noticed that something was wrong with the men and called for help.

The 43-year-old man had already died inside the building.

His colleague was taken to the Flora Clinic nearby for medical attention.

Honeydew police have opened an inquest into his colleague's death.

Read more on:    johannesburg  |  accidents

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.