Guests hear 'small explosion' during fire at Durban hotel

2016-05-11 12:05
A hotel fire in Durban. (Supplied, Suncell Community Watch)

A hotel fire in Durban. (Supplied, Suncell Community Watch)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Durban – Guests at the Blue Waters Hotel on Durban's beachfront, where a fire broke out on Wednesday morning, said they were fearful after hearing a "small explosion".

- PICS: Fire breaks out at Durban beachfront hotel

"I exited the building, stood in front and heard a small explosion," said one guest, Peter Delport, who was attending a conference. 

"There were big balls of smoke coming out. Until we saw the smoke, we hadn’t realised the extent of the situation. It was a short moment of panic."

He said he was on the 16th floor when he heard the alarm go off at 07:16. Thinking it was a fire drill, he grabbed some essentials and got down to the fourth floor, where he saw smoke and smelled electric cords burning.

Speaking to News24 outside the burning hotel, Nolobuyo Fani from Port Elizabeth, who was also in the city attending a conference, said the fire alarm went off just after 07:00, while he was rehearsing his presentation. 

"My colleague and I assumed it was just a person smoking. When we looked into the passageway on our floor it was empty."

They took the lift down to the ground floor to have breakfast, and were told to go outside. "As we did so we heard a small explosion and the building shook a little. It was a scary experience."

'I am just glad I am safe'

Another guest, Laurie Butgereit from Johannesburg, said she was out for an early morning walk when the fire started.

"I arrived back at the building and saw emergency services and people coming out. I have to say, the hotel staff were amazing. I just hope we don’t have to walk up stairs when we go in. I hope the electricity is back."

Unathi Ngoco, from Port Elizabeth, realised the fire was serious when she got into a lift to exit the building.

"I was calm until that moment. My roommate and I were told by a woman in the lift that we would not be able to go back to our room because of a fire. I am just glad I am safe."

RescueCare spokesperson Garrith Jamieson said it appeared that a transformer had caught alight on the ground floor, and the smoke permeated the entire building.

Blue Waters duty manager Etienne Jacobs said he could not immediately comment.

"We are just busy sorting out guests and speaking with officials. We will comment at a later stage."

Staff and guests wait outside as emergency officials tend to the fire. (Kaveel Singh, News24)

Read more on:    durban  |  fires

Inside News24

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.