Gunmen threaten staff at Cape Town waste drop-off facility

2019-07-19 17:40
(iStock)

(iStock)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Armed men threatened staff at a Hanover Park waste drop-off facility this week after their demands were not met, the City of Cape Town confirmed on Friday.

The two men had demanded that staff allow them to take the recyclables off site on Thursday, said acting water and waste mayoral committee member Felicity Purchase.

"When the staff refused, they drew their weapons and threatened them. There were also three armed men standing outside the premises," she said.

The staff were told that the intruders would wait for them after work.

Purchase said they arranged for staff to be transported out of the site to a safe location.

The facility was closed on Thursday afternoon but open again on Friday.

"This is the first time an incident of such a serious nature has occurred although staff have previously been verbally abused," said Purchase.

"The City strongly condemns this incident that threatened the lives of our staff, who are working and making an honest living."

She was extremely relieved and grateful that no one was physically harmed. Trauma counselling has been offered to the staff.


Read more on:    city of cape town
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.