Hairdryer may have sparked fire

2017-07-17 14:04
Firefighters try to extinguish the house fire.

Firefighters try to extinguish the house fire. (Supplied)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

A hairdryer is suspected to have allegedly sparked a fire that gutted a home on Carter Drive in Athlone on Saturday.

Pietermaritzburg Fire Department’s divisional officer Godfrey Mchunu said there were ongoing investigations to establish the cause of the fire but said they suspect that the fire was sparked by a hairdryer that was allegedly left on the table without being switched off.

Mchunu said they attended the house fire around noon.

“Half the house was already gutted when we arrived and the roof had collapsed but fortunately no one was injured,” said Mchunu, adding that all the bedrooms were destroyed.

The only places that they managed to save were the dining room, lounge and half the kitchen.

Mchunu said the person who was at the house when the fire broke out was apparently a relative who was house-sitting as the owners of the house were away on holiday.

“Although we are still investigating, we suspect that the hairdryer started the fire. The relative said she had used it to dry her hair after taking a bath and had left it on top of the table then left the room.

“She said she saw smoke coming from the bedroom and rushed to save her dogs before calling the fire department,” said Mchunu.

Mchunu said the house owners were informed about the fire and had said they were driving back home from Durban.

The Witness visited the house on Sunday morning with hopes of interviewing the home owners but got no response after calling at the gate.

Read more on:    pietermaritzburg

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.