Hit-busters on a roll

2019-03-29 16:04
Police Minister Bheki Cele flanked by the MEC for Safety and Security in KwaZulu-Natal, Mxolisi Kaunda (left), and SAPS national commissioner, General Khehla John Sitole, during an update on political killings in Durban.

Police Minister Bheki Cele flanked by the MEC for Safety and Security in KwaZulu-Natal, Mxolisi Kaunda (left), and SAPS national commissioner, General Khehla John Sitole, during an update on political killings in Durban. (Clive Ndou )

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Arrests over political assassinations have escalated sharply, and Police Minister Bheki Cele said on Thursday he was unapologetic about the arrest of Harry Gwala District Municipality Mayor Mluleki Ndobe, even though murder charges against him have been provisionally withdrawn.

Briefing the media in Durban on sweeping arrests by the political killings task team in the province, Cele said the provisional withdrawal of charges against Ndobe, who had been charged with the murder of former ANC Youth League secretary general Sindiso Magaqa, did not mean there was no case against the mayor.

“They said there is insufficient evidence; they did not say there was no evidence. It is only the charges that were withdrawn, not the case,” he said.

The murder charges against Ndobe were withdrawn by the Umzimkhulu Magistrate’s Court after he had already spent eight days in police custody following his arrest a fortnight ago.

Ndobe, who indicated that he was considering his legal options with regard to his detention, is on record as saying he was angry about his arrest, as it had tarnished his image.

However, Cele said the withdrawal of charges against suspects was a common occurrence within the justice system. “Even in respect of the task team, charges had been withdrawn in six of the cases.

“However, there are also instances where charges that had been provisionally withdrawn were later reinstated,” he said.

While charges against Ndobe had been provisionally withdrawn, another four accused in the Magaqa murder case are still on trial.

The task team, whose members were drawn from the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA), the Hawks and the State Security Agency (SSA), was established by President Cyril Ramaphosa in July following a spike in political murders in the province.

Two weeks ago Cele announced that the task team had made 100 arrests, but on Thursday he said the figure had gone up to 161.

Of the 161 people who had been arrested by the task team, 136 had been charged, 66 were in custody, 32 were out on bail, 27 have already been convicted, while two have since died.

Apart from Ndobe, ANC leaders that had been arrested in connection with political killings in the province include Newcastle Mayor Ntuthuko Mhlaba and Msunduzi Municipality councillor Nkosinathi TK Gambu.

Mhlaba — who has been charged with the murder of ANCYL eMalahleni leader Wandile Ngobeni, and Gambu — who has been charged with the murder of ANC Pietermaritzburg activist Musawenkosi “Maqatha” Mchunu, are currently in custody.

Cele said the task team has also arrested several people within the private security industry after establishing that they had been involved in some of the political killings.

Security companies that have been implicated include Vuco Security Solutions, LK Security Solutions and Inkuzi Security.

“A total of 13 cases have been opened and 14 suspects arrested and charged in terms of the Firearms Control Act,” Cele said.

On claims that the task team was being used to settle political scores within the ANC, which is currently riddled with factions, Cele said members of the task team were only focusing on political killings and not on internal party politics.

“Unfortunately this has been misconstrued as being meddling in political factionalism of political parties using state apparatus.

“It must be emphasised that the investigation and subsequent prosecution of these cases are done in accordance with the rule of law,” he said.


Read more on:    pietermaritzburg  |  political killings
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24

 
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.