Homeless and hopeless after fire ravages Good Hope informal settlement in Germiston

2018-07-05 17:38

GroundUp reports that at least 10 shacks have been destroyed, and one damaged, following a fire that spread from one shack to adjacent shacks in the space of an hour in Germiston's Good Hope shack settlement on Wednesday.

Thuli Ntimba says she was in town when she got a call from her landlord at mid-morning telling her that her shack was on fire. She works as a security guard in Edenvale. What used to be her shack is now a pile of smoking black and grey rubble.

She is left with only what she was wearing when she went to town. All her important documents were lost in the fire.

A shack fire in Good Hope settlement in Ekhuruleni left at least 10 families homeless. (GroundUp, Nation Nyoka/New Frame)

"When I arrived there was nothing. I lost R550 for transport to work for the month, my ID, my bed, my bank card, my work uniform, my matric certificate, and my firearm license. I have no clue where to start."

Behind her shack, two Mozambicans who work as vendors at Germiston taxi rank returned to find shards of their crockery and a half-burned passport. The fire consumed their entire structure, leaving only a door lock and an empty blackened shack. One of the men is concerned about his missing passport, wondering if the Department of Home Affairs will understand his position.

Food parcels, blankets distributed

Nthabiseng Khulu says she was eating when she heard someone nearby screaming: "Fire!"

"I saw that it was really burning right behind our shack. So I quickly ran home and told my mother to start moving the clothes because I could see the fire would reach our home," said Nthabiseng. She and her mother moved as much as they could manage into the narrow alleys before the fire reached their shack, but some of their valued possessions were burned, including a few of Nthabiseng's school books, her nephew's clothes and their kitchen.

Her mother, Khanyisile Khulu, says she was taking a bath when her daughter ran inside and told her to leave because their shack was already burning. Although Khanyisile managed to save a bed, a few pieces of clothing and their grey box TV, their shack was partially destroyed by the fire and the makeshift ceiling dangles over their heads.

Most of the damage is the result of water that can still be seen trickling in from the roof, causing a muddy puddle.

Ekurhuleni's disaster and emergency management team was on the scene assessing the damage.

WATCH: Baby dies, scores homeless after Imizamo Yethu fire

Food parcels – 20-litre buckets with items including tea, sugar, rice, spaghetti and Cremora –and blankets were handed out to the victims of the fire.

"My stove was burned in the fire. How do they expect me to cook this food? I don't have a kitchen now. There is no soap in [this parcel], there is no paraffin. There are seven of us in this shack. They only gave me three blankets," Khanyisile says, shrugging hopelessly.

Corruption, lack of development

Sinayo Ngidi was badly burned on his leg and had to walk to a nearby hospital after trying to douse a fire on a nearby shack.

"I was on top of one of the shacks, pouring water through an opening when a tyre holding the corrugated iron down caught alight and a flame rose up and burnt my leg."

The cramped settlement has not been electrified yet and most of its residents rely on paraffin and gas stoves.

Firefighters arrived after the blaze had already devoured most of the 10 shacks.

Read more: Baby's tiny body after Hout Bay fire was 'as small as loaf of bread' – witness

"What will become of me? How could this happen? I have no ID," a woman cried out after finding out that the fire broke out in her home while she was in town.

The fire is believed to have been started by a gas stove, but Abahlali baseMjondolo's Sizwe Mpaxa says no matter its origin, the shack fire highlights a bigger problem.

"This is part of the ruling party's corruption. It shows a lack of development. Why are people still living here to the point where there are fires despite the countless promises made to move them?" he asked.

No shelter for the night

Councillor Geoff Mthembu referred New Frame to City of Ekurhuleni spokesperson Themba Gadebe, saying he would handle all media queries on the shack fire. Gadebe's phone was on voicemail and New Frame was unable to determine the delay in electrification and the relocation of residents to a safer place.

As more and more community members returned from work the residents gathered, reassuring one another that no one was at fault.

A wheelbarrow wormed through the crowd and the clean-up began as numbers swelled. They worked fast, setting aside reusable building material, and going through the rubble and soot for anything valuable to salvage. No one knew where those left homeless would sleep for the night.

Read more on:    johannesburg  |  housing  |  fires

Inside News24

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.