Hout Bay protester died of blunt force trauma - IPID

2017-07-11 14:41
Hout Bay protests. (Netwerk24)

Hout Bay protests. (Netwerk24)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Cape Town - The man killed during last week's Hout Bay protests died of blunt force trauma, the Independent Police Investigative Directorate (IPID) confirmed on Tuesday.

IPID spokesperson Moses Dlamini said Songezo Ndude's death was being investigated by the police watchdog and that an inquest magistrate would be appointed to determine who was responsible for his death.

Ndude was injured on Monday morning last week and initially treated at Victoria Hospital in Wynberg.

He was transferred to Groote Schuur Hospital, where he died on Tuesday.

Ndude had been among those who protested for three days against the City of Cape Town’s failure to rebuild their homes within three months, following the devastating fires in March which ravaged 3 500 structures, affecting 15 000 people.

Affected locals were meant to be temporarily housed in 3x3m metal structures while the area was reblocked.

July is the fourth month that they have been living on the local sports field.

Calm was restored in the community by last Tuesday after Mayor Patricia De Lille visited the area to discuss the way forward with the residents. 

Dlamini said, while blunt force trauma had been confirmed to be the cause of death, an inquest still had to be conducted to determine how the injury was sustained and who had caused it.

"'Blunt force trauma' doesn’t tell us where it came from, whether he was shot or hit with a brick or object," he explained.

"The matter will be presided over by an inquest magistrate and witnesses will be called so that it can be decided who should be held liable."

There were varying accounts of what had transpired on that day, Dlamini said.

"We will look at the different versions of what happened: who shot that day, police or the Metro police; if people were throwing stones… Only once that [investigation] process has been completed, will the magistrate make a decision and decide whether anyone should be charged."


Read more on:    cape town  |  protests

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Hawks’ new hope

2018-05-27 00:00

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.