'I believe Khwezi believed she was raped' - Lindiwe Sisulu

2017-10-26 12:07
Lindiwe Sisulu (Picture: Jaco Marais)

Lindiwe Sisulu (Picture: Jaco Marais)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Cape Town – Human Settlements Minister and ANC presidential candidate Lindiwe Sisulu says she believes Khwezi "believed she was raped" by President Jacob Zuma.

Sisulu was being interviewed by 702's Eusebius McKaiser on Thursday morning.

During the interview, McKaiser asked her what she made of the rape claims made against Zuma by Fezekile Kuzwayo, known during the trial as Khwezi.

READ: The real Fezekile 'Khwezi' Kuzwayo as her family knew her

"I believe she believed she was raped," Sisulu responded.

McKaiser then asked her what she believed.

"No, I don't know if I have enough evidence to be able to make a decision on that.

"I know both parties firmly believed what they said."

The comments have caused quite a stir on Twitter, with #LindiweOnEusebius trending on Thursday morning.

Many have taken Sisulu's cryptic answer as an admission of sorts, but others say she dodged the question and avoided answering it.

In the broadcast, it was clear Sisulu steered away from taking a direct stance on the merits of the case.

On Thursday afternoon, a statement was released on behalf of Sisulu's "It's a must" campaign to explain her position.

"Rape, in any form, is the most reprehensible and violent act against any human being and should always be condemned in the strongest terms possible. Comrade Lindiwe Sisulu’s position on rape, as stated numerously on the campaign trail, is well documented," the statement read.

It said that the South Gauteng High Court in Johannesburg had been the final arbiter in the matter.

"Comrade Lindiwe’s views on the matter are secondary to the court’s verdict."

ALSO READ: 'Nothing new to add' to Mkhize’s Khwezi comments - Presidency

Khwezi's story received more attention recently following the release of journalist Redi Thlabi's book on the late Kuzwayo. Nearly 600 people attended its launch.

Kuzwayo had spent much of the rape trial against Zuma living in hiding to protect her safety, before leaving the country to live abroad following Zuma's acquittal.

Kuzwayo's family confirmed in October 2016 that she had died.

Her ordeal was pushed back into the public eye after four women protested in her name during the announcement of the 2016 local government elections results.

They held up placards during Zuma's scheduled speech at the results centre, before being physically removed from the venue.

KEEP UPDATED on the latest news by subscribing to our FREE newsletter.

- FOLLOW News24 on Twitter

Read more on:    fezekile kuzwayo  |  khwezi  |  jacob zuma  |  lindiwe sisulu  |  politics  |  crime  |  rape

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.